Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I love beer with cigars. Since I gave up alcohol, I even break out the NAs for cigar time. But never did much like beer with the pipe. Which is strange because I used to like beer with everything (toothpaste, Fruity Pebbles, liquor, you name it). Port was nice with a pipe, I suppose, but I don't miss it a bit. Coffee, tea, soda pop, fizzy water, iced tea... love 'em all with a pipe, especially coffee. I wish I could find a good decaf coffee so I could drink it the evenings with my pipes without it keeping me up.

ovidsmuse

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
Most mass produced beers are not great with anything but light aros. Hoppy beers can be good with English blends but the hop variety really matters there. A lot of stouts in the US pair well with Virginia and Vapers, especially barrel aged ones. Session beers like ESB and British milds are good with anything toasty especially burly blends. Belgian doubles and quads are quite nice with many tobaccos but need water between sips. And then there are sours. Lactic sours can be nice with Latkia, but true spontaneous beers are case by case. I find most lambics to be excellent with aged flakes with little toping. I'm drinking a Belgium Lambic with Union Square right now and it's a nice pairing.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I do not drink as much beer as I have in the past due to health reasons. I do however consume large amounts of both coffee and bourbon. I have noticed on the few occasions i have tried to drink a beer while enjoying a bowl they just dont go well together. No Remember I am an old man i dont care for some fufu flavor coco pebbles beer.
Although I enjoy a beer with food, bourbon and coke was my drink of choice, often with a Sambucca on the side to sip on.
When I was diagnosed with duodenal ulcers 30 years ago I switched from coffee to tea.
A few years ago I started to get real bad symptoms from drinking bourbon and Sambucca and had to ... sob ... give it up :cry:

Now I mainly drink tea, chocolate milk and water, with the occasional naturally brewed beer or stout ....... sigh.

Reactions: BROBS

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
It's bad for your mouth, but I agree that Bourbon is an extremely good pairing with a pipe... or possibly moonshine instead

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Although I enjoy a beer with food, bourbon and coke was my drink of choice, often with a Sambucca on the side to sip on.
When I was diagnosed with duodenal ulcers 30 years ago I switched from coffee to tea.
A few years ago I started to get real bad symptoms from drinking bourbon and Sambucca and had to ... sob ... give it up :cry:

Now I mainly drink tea, chocolate milk and water, with the occasional naturally brewed beer or stout ....... sigh.
I had to pretty much give up beer. I went from a 12 pack a day to maybe a 6 pack a month after being told I have diabetes. The doctor did tell me if i had to drink to drink straight spirits( bourbon). So stopping beer was not that bad

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I had to pretty much give up beer. I went from a 12 pack a day to maybe a 6 pack a month after being told I have diabetes. The doctor did tell me if i had to drink to drink straight spirits( bourbon). So stopping beer was not that bad
Although I like beer, I'm a dopey drunk when I over consume it.
When I overindulged with bourbon or most spirits, people often couldn't tell that I was affected [My last GF was a bit straight. Her ex-husband couldn't handle his grog so she was a bit wary]

One day she said that although she saw for herself the large quantities that I drank, she could not see any change in my behaviour, lol.

It's weird how some people are fine drinking either beer or spirits but aren't so good drinking the other. I've seen it so many times where a bloke has drunk a dozen beers and is fine but they flip out after just one of my bourbons.

Diabetes? That blows chunks [Too many patients at my prosthetic clinic have lost a leg to diabetes]
The modern rise in diabetes started when hydrogenated veg oils & margarine were accepted by housewives during WWII.
Before then they couldn't give the crap away. Due to food rationing, lard & butter was in short supply. Margarine and hydrogenated sunflower and canola oils were freely available.

Margarine and hydrogenated oils weaken arterial walls. In defense, the body lays down cholesterol to protect from aneurysm, hence 'hardening' of the arteries.
These oils also impair cell walls ability to accept insulin; hence the modern rise in diabetes.

Our so-called health 'authorities' recommend these unhealthy oils over natural fats such as lard and butter. They're hard to avoid because they're used by restaurants, the fast-food industry and in processed foods because they're cheap.

When I was diagnosed with a terminal vascular disease [Buergers] I was given 2-3 years to live. This led to a lot of research on vascular health. I've survived for 17 years beyond their diagnosis.
The short of it is; natural fats like cold-pressed veg oils, butter and lard for e.g. are healthy.
Margarine and hydrogenated veg oils are very unhealthy.

Nexus magazine had a very good article on the subject. www.nexusmagazine.com [Sorry don't remember the articles title but a search should find it]
Many of the articles are pay-for-view but it's totally worth the read.

Chicken Cod

Lurker
Feb 6, 2020
Miami-Dade County, Florida
For my taste buds, the only liquid that goes "well" with pipe smoking is coffee. I found that mixing anything else with the pipe creates a nasty aftertaste that affects both in a negative way.
I have only been smoking a pipe for about four months but agree 100% with this observation. In fact, I almost feel like I'd rather not even smoke if I can't have a cup of coffee to go along with it. The interplay between the tobacco and the coffee is sublime. The only comparable experience I can think of is a nice cheese and wine pairing where the combination of the two tastes is greater than the sum of its parts. Somebody somewhere once said the best starter pack for a novice smoker is a corncob pipe, some Prince Albert and a cup of coffee. I'd been struggling to find my footing but the day I followed that advice something clicked and I finally got it. It was transcendental. Here's to good coffee and a good bowl.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I drink so infrequently that but it's usually with a pipe. Sometimes I'll get out the ole flask and sip it during a bowl. Pretty much any dark spirit is what I'll drink. Frankly I think it goes well with a pipe. But normally I just drink water and if I am drinking coffee I am just trying to wake up which isn't the best time to smoke a pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Although I like beer, I'm a dopey drunk when I over consume it.
When I overindulged with bourbon or most spirits, people often couldn't tell that I was affected [My last GF was a bit straight. Her ex-husband couldn't handle his grog so she was a bit wary]

One day she said that although she saw for herself the large quantities that I drank, she could not see any change in my behaviour, lol.

It's weird how some people are fine drinking either beer or spirits but aren't so good drinking the other. I've seen it so many times where a bloke has drunk a dozen beers and is fine but they flip out after just one of my bourbons.
I am the same way. Though there are two big factors how everything else in the drink effects the metabolism and this ones much bigger rate of consumption. I drink beer like soda especially after a few. Liquor I always sip. Oh and it's easier to keep track of how many shots (serving size, not how quickly I drink it) I have versus how many beers.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Beer always give me a weird tingly sensation akin to faux tongue bite when I drink it while smoking a pipe. I don’t buy liquor so I usually just don’t drink while actively smoking. Water always treats me best. I’m sure coffee is amazing with certain blends, and I love the shit out of some coffee, but I don’t smoke in the morning.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I love a good Mocha with a pipe. I don't drink alcohol but when I did I liked fufu drinks but I can't see them going well with a pipe. I never developed a taste for beer.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Black coffee night or day. Don't know what it is but when I settle in for a weekend bourbon with a pipe... not so good. Now if I've already settled in with 3 bourbons I find the 4th pairs rather well.

Black Forest Piper

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Colorado, USA
I'm a newbie at just about two years of piping and I tried beer and spirits before reading that pairing it with a pipe has health implications. But never found a combination that really begged to be had again. Tried with coffee for the first time just this weekend. Not too bad.

OleRalfy

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Personally, I've never paired a beer and a pipe enough to thoroughly formulate my own opinion as to whether I enjoy it or not. I used to love how a straight Virginia in a briar paired well with a nice, hot and fresh dark roast coffee with ample milk and sugar. Though now, after committing to challenging my palate, I've yet to discover anything else that pairs well with a nice English than a cup of tea at the moment.

Reactions: Black Forest Piper