PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I do not drink as much beer as I have in the past due to health reasons. I do however consume large amounts of both coffee and bourbon. I have noticed on the few occasions i have tried to drink a beer while enjoying a bowl they just dont go well together. No Remember I am an old man i dont care for some fufu flavor coco pebbles beer.

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like a beer now and then, but it does make me feel bloated, and it coats my mouth in such a way that I don't taste much of a blend. Ice water, tea, wine sipped, cola, go pretty well. Coffee mutes the flavors somewhat. It's all individual -- preference, body chemistry, diet, blend preferences.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I enjoy pairing coffee most of all. I tend to try and steer away from alcoholic beverages while smoking, due to the health implications involved with tissue irritation, but occasionally I do pair a nice scotch/bourbon or a good beer with a bowl. I do seem to gravitate toward darker beers, stouts and porters, when I know I am going to pair them with tobacco. Particularly those infused with coffee, haha. Coincidence? Probably not. Tough to find a better pairing than coffee and tobacco.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Coffee with a healthy splash of Irish Cream is great for the morning latakia blends. Vodka and burley works well for me also.

Reactions: Kozeman
I drink black coffee in the morning, water all the time, black Darjeeling tea very occasionally (Once a month) and alcohol about one / two times a week.
For alcohol my tastes change. There was a very short rum phase many years ago, and the usual beers, but for quite some time I I have been drinking single malts almost exclusively. Recently (About 6 months) I have diversified a bit into bourbon/ American whiskey, and re-discovering beers (Less than a month or so). Other than that, when I am in a Mexican restaurant I like a frozen Margarita.

Whatever I am drinking, I enjoy a pipe with that

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
Try Victory At Sea (Ballast Point Porter), pairs very nicely with many smokes IMO. Please let me know if you have some and what you pair it with and have found to enjoy. I often have it after work or after dinner with a pipe of many varieties and tobaccos.

Reactions: chopper and kurtbob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I agree.. for the evening Rooibos tea is a great pairing without caffeine.

If coffee didn't keep me up at night that is all I would drink. My favorite is Cafe Du Monde. I fell in love with it years ago after a trip to New Orleans. I used to buy beans, grind, french press and all that crap. The Du Monde is strong and the Chicory in it makes it somehow.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If coffee didn't keep me up at night that is all I would drink. My favorite is Cafe Du Monde. I fell in love with it years ago after a trip to New Orleans. I used to buy beans, grind, french press and all that crap. The Du Monde is strong and the Chicory in it makes it somehow.
I agree. I love coffee and would drink it day and night but have to stop myself at 2 or 3 in the afternoon or I’d be up all night like @jiminks.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: chopper and kurtbob

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I must either not be fussy, or maybe I just do not have a “refined” enough palate..... I think a pipe goes well with Any beverage I enjoy, and that runs the gambit (alcoholic.... beer, gin, whiskey, bourbon or non-alcoholic.... iced tea, coffee, Coca-Cola, Root Beer, 7-Up, Dr. Pepper, tomato juice, V-8, milk, a milkshake, or water alone). To me, each beverage imparts an ability for me to taste the pipe tobacco differently, and also the pipe tobacco shapes the way I perceive the beverage. I like them all.