Bought Random Stuff on the Way to the Catskills to Fish.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I was smoking some Molto Dolce with my coffee this morning just before I got out the shovel and sandbags. We are flooding down here, and the water is just a few inches from my door.

My tin is from 2012, when I bought way too much of it. With age, I have come to like this one a lot more. The extra sauce added to this blend really starts to balance out with the tobacco. But, yeh, it is not a pungent or strong flavor. It is just a very sweet sweet aromatic. I'm not a huge fan, but it is one of the few aromatics I will smoke. But, then I don't like my tobaccos to be as aromatic as a candle or incense.

I have read lots of good things about those 4th Generation tobaccos. I didn't really care for them myself, but some non-aro guys that I usually agree with like them.

Stanwell's vanilla... I went through a Vanilla phase where I was trying all of the vanilla aromatics. If I smoke an aro, I usually smoke one in the mornings with my black coffee. Not that, that is a usual thing for me. But, this one is a good one, IMO. You might also like Stokkebye's Sweet Vanilla, if you like that one.

Sutliff's Rum and Maple... ha ha, that one would have hit the garbage before my pipe. I only do one thing with maple syrup, and that is my pecan encrusted venison recipe, and even then if I wash my hands really well, because the smell of maple syrup on my hands makes me nauseous. The aroma of maple is too cloying to me. YMMV.

Enjoy your fishing. The damned things can swim right up to my front door today. And, the cottonmouths are out in full force.... the fuckers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never had good luck buying pipes or tobacco on a trip. It makes me realize how much time and effort I invest in buying these provisions when I'm at home. I ponder and torture each purchase. If I just walk in a buy something I haven't tried, it's always been a "meh" experience. Actually, I like your pipes, and at least one of the blends, I think you did pretty well.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Lol that would still be downstate…trust me. I was stationed there for work and had to still drive home 4 hours north to go home. Absolutely beautiful place though! Many beautiful reservoirs filled with trophy fish.
my understanding is anything that's not New York City is upstate. That's how it's been described to me by Upstaters.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Well there’s upstate New York, and Northern New York.
I live in New York, and have a place in the Catskills. I have to drive 5 hours south to get there.

Reactions: jp267nh

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
I was smoking some Molto Dolce with my coffee this morning just before I got out the shovel and sandbags. We are flooding down here, and the water is just a few inches from my door.

My tin is from 2012, when I bought way too much of it. With age, I have come to like this one a lot more. The extra sauce added to this blend really starts to balance out with the tobacco. But, yeh, it is not a pungent or strong flavor. It is just a very sweet sweet aromatic. I'm not a huge fan, but it is one of the few aromatics I will smoke. But, then I don't like my tobaccos to be as aromatic as a candle or incense.

I have read lots of good things about those 4th Generation tobaccos. I didn't really care for them myself, but some non-aro guys that I usually agree with like them.

Stanwell's vanilla... I went through a Vanilla phase where I was trying all of the vanilla aromatics. If I smoke an aro, I usually smoke one in the mornings with my black coffee. Not that, that is a usual thing for me. But, this one is a good one, IMO. You might also like Stokkebye's Sweet Vanilla, if you like that one.

Sutliff's Rum and Maple... ha ha, that one would have hit the garbage before my pipe. I only do one thing with maple syrup, and that is my pecan encrusted venison recipe, and even then if I wash my hands really well, because the smell of maple syrup on my hands makes me nauseous. The aroma of maple is too cloying to me. YMMV.

Enjoy your fishing. The damned things can swim right up to my front door today. And, the cottonmouths are out in full force.... the fuckers.
Sorry to hear about the flooding! Wish I were closer I'd lend a hand. I pretty much agree with your assessment. My two favorites out of all of the were the Stanwell Vanilla which I liked much better than Melange. To me it's just a wonderful light smoke. My second favorite is the 1957. It's decently light and has a beautiful aroma.

Good luck with everything!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
Well there’s upstate New York, and Northern New York.
I live in New York, and have a place in the Catskills. I have to drive 5 hours south to get there.
I love the Adirondacks area. I've almost broken my neck a few times slipping on the boulders in the Au Sable River while fly fishing, but it is awful pretty!

Reactions: jpberg

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
I've never had good luck buying pipes or tobacco on a trip. It makes me realize how much time and effort I invest in buying these provisions when I'm at home. I ponder and torture each purchase. If I just walk in a buy something I haven't tried, it's always been a "meh" experience. Actually, I like your pipes, and at least one of the blends, I think you did pretty well.
Thanks! Yeah I hate impulse buys, but I really liked both pipes when I saw them and had to have them! The Stanwell Vanilla has quickly become one of my favorites! And I really like the 1957 mixture. The others I could take them or leave them.

Sorry to hear about the flooding! Wish I were closer I'd lend a hand. I pretty much agree with your assessment. My two favorites out of all of the were the Stanwell Vanilla which I liked much better than Melange. To me it's just a wonderful light smoke. My second favorite is the 1957. It's decently light and has a beautiful aroma.

Good luck with everything!
Thank you, the water has receded. No structural damage, but it did knock down a 150 year old retaining wall. I hate rebuilding those things, but it could have been worse.
How was fishing? Catch anything?

Reactions: jp267nh

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
Thank you, the water has receded. No structural damage, but it did knock down a 150 year old retaining wall. I hate rebuilding those things, but it could have been worse.
How was fishing? Catch anything?
That's good to hear! Yeah I terraced part of my backyard with retaining walls. They're no fun. Glad it wasn't worse!

Caught a 14in brown and a 8in rainbow yesterday. It was tough fishing. High fast water and murky from three days of rain that preceded my arrival. No worries though. Just love being out there!