PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Ever since I first saw Cavicchi's pipes on SmokingPipes.com I've wanted one. His shaping work is pretty much perfect in my opinion and the grain on his straight pipes is usually stunning. Unfortunately, my wife and I don't have much disposable income these days with two young children and her having stopped working full time. As such, I thought it would probably be quite a while before I bought the Cavicchi I wanted.
As luck would have it, I got a little money for Christmas to spend on myself and decided to look on eBay to see if anything caught my fancy. There was an estate Cavicchi for sale with no reserve that I liked the look of. I tend to like the utilitarian looks of a good rusticated or sandblasted pipe (lucky for me since they tend to be cheaper). Sure, I love a good straight grain too, but rustication with character seems to always catch my eye. The color of this pipe happens to be really fetching to me as well.
So I put in a bid and as luck would have it I came out the winner. I have no idea if I got a good deal or a bad deal since I have no idea what a Cavicchi Rusticated 2C typically goes for new or used. If anyone has an idea of the market price I'd be interested to hear, but I won't be upset even if I overpaid because I like the looks of the pipe and I'm sure it will smoke just great being that Cavicchi is known for his drilling and attention to detail.
Here's a picture of my new Cavicchi!

s-l1600_zps6brgnivj.jpg

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
Really nice Cavicchi there. Nice find. I have a few of Claudio's pipes and I love them. I feel that Claudio and other Italian pipemakers get superior briar - home advantage - and it tells in the smoking qualities. I'm no authority on prices and, like you, I really couldn't care. Enjoy the pipe.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Thanks Cosmic! I tend to come and go on the forums depending on how much I've been able to smoke my pipe. Out of sight, out of mind as it were. My wife and I had our 2nd child 7 months ago, so I've been busy! Since I don't smoke in the house and I've been on hand to help my wife out as much as possible, I haven't been able to get my "alone time" to smoke much until recently. Now that things are settling down again I'm looking forward to getting involved again.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Handsome pipe. They say a good deal is when you get what you wanted at the price you were willing to pay. In this case that's true. There is a Santa, he just used Ebay! Enjoy.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Congrats. I love Claudio's pipes. Truth be told, I have a strong preference for his rusticated pipes as the smooths tend to look a bit murky over time. I'm not sure if he is rusticating any longer. It seems like he's blasting all the pipes that his wife used to rusticate these days. In that respect, your pipe may have a value far greater than what you paid.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I had a Cavicchi Canadian back in the '90s and let it get away from me somehow on a bad trade. I now own a couple more and love them both.
Claudio is an artist and I truly admire his work. You will enjoy that pipe!

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Very nice pipe. Great shape, stain and rustication.
You need to thoroughly enjoy it now.
Cheers,
J

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
If I recall the light stain only made up about 5% of his average annual production when he was rusticating. Sweet pipe btw.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Congratulations, Broth. Looks like Santa took great care of you. :)Holler if he cuts you in on anymore deals.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Congrats man...that's a great looking pipe. If you could afford it and are happy with the price you paid then you got a good deal. Enjoy. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.