PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
So...my first go at pipe smoking I started with captain black gold. Meh..

It was a great introduction but I always knew if I liked it I would jump into an English blend. Today I went to an awesome cigar/pipe store in Vancouver called CityCigar. Amazing store! I bought Petersons Old Dublin. I'm sure everyone here has had it. Going to smoke it tonight. I feel like I'm popping my cherry. Wish me a good smoke.
ps. Looked at some pipes there and have my "Christmas money" eye on the Peterson 2010 Christmas pipes. They look attractive.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I enjoy Old Dublin a lot. I used to be a Captain Black Royal smoker some years back. Now I favor English blends and flakes. Once you try real quality tobaccos there seems to be no turning back.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
Opened the tin and was surprised by the smell. Very strong. Which part of the blend gives off that spicy odour? Latkia? Great smoke though. Very smooth compared to the smell from the tin. Lasted long and was great with a glass of whiskey on the swing. Is university flake similar?

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
Sorry another question. My pipe was moist (bubbling) 3/4 down. Should I let the tobacco dry out for a bit?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Sounds like a serious case of TAD and PAD... :D

As to the gurgle.... Just sloooooooo o o o o w down.

That spicy "pouch note" always reminds me of freshly ground pepper.

Love that latakia.
It might behoove you to peruse the Blogs on slow smoking from Birmingham0irish and myself. There may be a gem or two that will help in stretching out that smoke, eliminating the gurgle, and greatly extending your smoking time.
Remember: The ritual of tobacco and pipe selection, tobacco preparation, proper packing, the char and true lights, then the maintenance of the low temperature ember; comes with practice and patience.

It won't be long until you have the perfect smoke you'll want to share and will remember for a long, long time.

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
good move on the english blend. i tend to smoke a bit to fast so if i get the bubbling

or gurgling i just run a pipe cleaner down the stem and it absorbs the moisture.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
I have yet to smoke a "real" tobacco consistently. My family is against "robust" tobaccos and I am only allowed to smoke aromatics. The one time I smoked some "real" tobacco I nearly had a revolt and wasn't able to finish the bowl. But I am still kind of stocking up the other blends for when the weather gets warmer. :cry:
BTW, what do the terms TAD and PAD translate to?

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
TAD= Tobacco Acquisition Disease

PAD= Pipe Acquisition Disease
Both incurable, expensive, but a lot of fun.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Latakia...... good stuff. Hangs in the air like a puffy cloud of pure pleasure. 8)
Second the Buck theory : run a pipe cleaner to absorb the gurgle monster moisture.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I hope Old Dublin still respects you this morning :lol:
What a great time of the year to begin pipe smoking. Congrats ulsterpaddy!

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Old Dublin is a great blend, am smoking some as I type this. It is fairly moist, I always dry it out a bit when the tin is first opened. If you enjoy Old Dublin, welcome to the Latakia Lovers Club!
As for the Captain Black Gold, I agree it isn't so great (IMHO). I prefer Captain Black White, and smoke it daily (it IS real tobacco LOL).
As you try different tobaccos, don't be afraid to try some other OTCs as some of them are quite good. I enjoy some Carter Hall or Half and Half when in the mood for a milder smoke.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
haha the only reason i called it real is because of some tobacconist near my work scoffed at me when i told him how i started with captain black. sarcastically he said "thats not real tobacco...this is the good stuff (showing his display of mostly peterson tins)" i found a better joint than his weeks later.
day 2 smoked it slower definately helped, loved the smell from the tin on the second opening...ok im addicted. cant wait to run it out and try something new.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Like many, I spent my first year or so with Aromatics. Then

I bought a tin of Rattray's Red Rapparee. I never went back

to Aromatics. These days, I also avoid heavily cased blends

and blends with a Cavendish component, preferring the 'dry'

blends, and there a plenty of them, to keep my Pipe burning.

Out of the Peterson blends, University Flake and Irish Flake

hold my interest, but I have to smoke them in small bowls as

they are stout.

Status
Not open for further replies.