PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnnyRockets

Lurker
Sep 1, 2022
Tecumseh, Michigan
Hi all!

Started down the pipe smoking road today, coming from the cigar smoking world, about a week ago.

Today my wife bought me my first pipe and tobacco (such a

The pipe is a Rossi Sera 8315 Briar pipe (by Savinelli according to the box) and the tobacco is a good pipe blend recommended by my local B & M store.

Had my first bowl in it and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Off to a good start so far! :)

JR

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Rossi's, which is now a sub-brand of Savinelli after starting out as a separate brand. The current Rossi pipes are in Savinelli shapes, sometimes with an "8" added before the regular Savinelli shape number. The Rossi yacht shape pipes are often numbered 8404, whereas the Savinelli yachts are 404, for one example.

I think the chambers and airways are pretty much like Savinelli pipes. The main difference is in the finishes, which are good quality in the Rossi, but a little less fancy. Either pipe is a good long term investment for most people. There are some who disdain Savinelli and Rossi, but I have quite a few and have found them fine pipes.

Some of the Rossi pipes, and a few Savinelli series, do not take the standard balsa filters and adaptors to smoke without the filters. Most of both brands smoke well without a filter or adaptor, so it is mostly personal preference, or to suit your mood.

It sounds like you've made a good start with your pipe. My usual advice to new pipe smokers is to buy blends only in small quantities for a year or two -- an ounce or two of bulk that comes in a plastic baggie, or one tin,, or a pouch. Your tastes will change, and you will want to smoke a variety of blends to find out which you prefer.

Unless you have an aversion to MM cobs, one or two of those would make a good rotation with your new briar pipe. I like to spend a few bucks more, still under thirty dollars, and get the MM cobs with acrylic stems, since I tend to chew up the softer plastic stems.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
My first briar pipe was a Rossi (a Piccolo) that I picked up from Smokie's Fine Cigars in Bloomfield Hills, MI. It smokes well (still a relative term in my limited experience) and I like it when I don't have long to smoke or want to try a stronger blend. Smokie's carries the Lane Limited tobacco as their house brand and the couple I tried, Black Silky and Captain Gold, were decent, but have found that a pouch of Captain Black is a little more pleasant experience. Welcome and also curious to see your new pipe and which tobacco you received.

jwussow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 7, 2021
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Welcome! I too started with cigars, and I stick to them during our warm Wisconsin summers. I typically smoke my pipes when the weather gets a bit cooler.

We just had a cool front come through last night, and I am sitting on our patio by a fire enjoying a bowl of Bengal Slices.