PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sobranie759

Lurker
Jun 5, 2013
I picked up this old tin of Balkan Sobranie. It still has some tobacco at the bottom, which I’m wondering if I can rehydrate. Whether the tobacco is Balkan Sobranie I’m not sure of. Either way, it’s a cool tin to have next to my pipe racks.

View attachment 80713

View attachment 80714

View attachment 80715

View attachment 80716
What you have is a very old cutter top tin from the prime period IMHO of Sobranie. Smoked this blend for 40 years. Not being an expert I will say that to my untrained eye this looks like Sobranie. My suggestion is to gently rehydrate and smoke some. Even when dry you may be able to smell the smell that was Sobranie. Enjoy it as it is legendary

Jun 23, 2019
You can and definitely should try to re-hydrate it. If nothing else, should be fun.

If you want to go the extra mile, can even try to properly case it. But with an older tabacchi like this it will be a delicate process.

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
I have a few tins of original Sobranie and the earlier cutter top are little different from the 70s tins.

I was also gifted the remnants of a 70s tin and it was certainly more like what you have there.

Here's a recently opened tin of 1940s/50s Sobranie -

THlJOyo.jpg

And here's a 70s era tin -

wfEtj9X.jpg

Both are unmistakable for that intense pungent red wine smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.