Bought a Brand New Dunhill Chestnut 3203 / 2017 Did it Meet My Expectations?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
that's what it looked like but I couldn't tell for sure. The question though is how well does it smoke? The more I see high end pipes like that, the more I think their market is more for collectors then smokers. Especially since I've never encountered any issues in my 100 dollar or so pipes.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
It seems like a reasonable outcome. If the others in stock are about the same then not much to consider. I had a similar situation with a Castello Collection, ask for inspection and it arrived worse than your example. Since then I heard other such stories and these pipes are in the same price range as the Dunhills. It may be that the main market for both these brands has shifted east and the incentive towards perfection has diminished.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
It seems like a reasonable outcome. If the others in stock are about the same then not much to consider. I had a similar situation with a Castello Collection, ask for inspection and it arrived worse than your example. Since then I heard other such stories and these pipes are in the same price range as the Dunhills. It may be that the main market for both these brands has shifted east and the incentive towards perfection has diminished.
Yes Sir, I have to agree with You,all this drives me nuts,since it looks like we cant really count any more on renowned brand names nor can we rely on their quality control ,and somehow I have come to realize that often customer's requests for pre-sale inspection of the pipe may remain unnoticed since I have encountered this issue on several occasions in the past,there were times when I have gotten some brand new pipes with oxidized /dull steam or stems which were slightly twisted, and all these pipes were bought from well established vendors both in EU and Britannia,as far as Dunhill pipe market is concerned I can tell you I'am seeing grand number of various models of this brand being for sale at Russian vendors and nobody seem to buy them that much since those discerned connaiseurs'of fine pipes out there are starting to prefer their domestic artisan names or products from higher end Danish carvers such as Former-Hans Nilsen or Ann Julie

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
It's a Dunhill. It is what it is. That's how they are made, how they have always been made. The stem itself will be very nicely manufactured with an excellent smooth slot, and the pipe will smoke very well. If you want to see a pipe meet some other set of specs, then you need to buy some other brand, period.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just gave it first smoke with Prince Albert ,without inserted innertube,so far so good, bowl surface seems to get get a bit hot at times,though and as expected,has quite wide open ,airy draw, candidly saying I must assume for the same amount of money there are better options out there,but when it comes to how WhiteSpot Dunhill shapes their pipes and stems,in my opinion,in this area they are hard to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.