Bought a Brand New Dunhill Chestnut 3203 / 2017 Did it Meet My Expectations?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
New Accessories
12 Fresh Johs Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just a quick inquiry, another week I bought this 3203 Dunhill Chestnut(2017) from UK based vendors, asking their staff to check the drilling prior to shipping it anywhere, maybe somebody did inspect the pipe but more probably it wasn't the case
since when I received the very pipe today I discovered what You are seeing on the following photoshoots, in this price range I would have liked to see a bit more accurate executed drilling, I must admit it is drilled pretty straight yes, but at the same time a bit wonky' or unsteady if this is the proper expression
How would you think if could I live with this or shall I send it back to the vendor in England? As this comes with famous' Dunhill innertube system the draw is pretty wide open, otherwise and overall I have no other complaints whatsoever with this pipe
Thank You for Your time, and commentsCIMG0828.JPGCIMG0821.JPGCIMG0820.JPGCIMG0822.JPGCIMG0825.JPGCIMG0824.JPGCIMG0826.JPG

Oct 7, 2016
As this comes with famous' Dunhill innertube system the draw is pretty wide open, otherwise and overall I have no other complaints whatsoever with this pipe
We all have our deal points, and my tolerance at least varies with the maker. I recently passed on a new Dunhill County that was a seldom seen shape # when I verified that what looked like a gap between the stem and shank in fact was just that. That’s just not acceptable to me in a Dunhill. The drilling would likely be acceptable to me. I have had pipes drilled no worse than that from just about every high $ maker out there and I was able to smoke them no problem with only one noteworthy exception.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Paulie, your Sisyphean search for satisfaction in Dunhills is always entertaining. I commend your optimism, even if I don’t share it.

I also appreciate that your insatiable thirst causes you to sell barely used pipes for unbelievably good prices to the members here.

I’d be happy with that pipe. But I wouldn’t pay new Dunhill prices for it. If I had, then I’d likely be annoyed as well.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Not good enough for a company that charges a higher premium for “quality” in my opinion.

If that were a $75 pipe it wouldn’t bother me but you paid top price for less than top quality. Send it back.

Maybe next time the seller will understand that when somebody asks about the drilling they actually want to know if the drilling is good and not just making pointless small talk. Might help them to improve their customer service by paying attention and providing honest and complete answers.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
I'd send it back--mostly because you specifically asked the shop to check, implying this was important to you, and you would be disappointed if it were wrong.

If they'd sent you photos like those you've posted here, or shared a detailed assessment pointing out this particular pipe's good points and any quality control issues, I'd think, fair enough.

One potential upside--for both you and them--if you return it then next time they'll let you know issues before they post your pipe, and you'll know you can trust their word, and have a reason to buy from them again.

For myself, I hate when this sort of thing happens--it's exciting to get a new pipe, and when one has splurged, the first few days, at least, should be pure pleasure. Basically, the very opposite end of the spectrum from buying a noble wreck you hope to patiently nurse back to health.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Assuming you haven't smoked you can ask them to accept a return. If it was smoked that almost certainly won't. They may also try to give you credit for the pipe so that you can buy another from them.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dunhill/White Spot do beautiful pipes generally, a thrill to behold. They promise perfection and it's sad when they miss. All but a handful of my pipes would make no pipe person's pulse palpitate, but I am interested that so many are well drilled and otherwise put together, with noticeable precision and care. Not being one to spend hundreds of dollars on a pipe in most cases, I take a certain amount of pleasure in that with my Savinelli, Stanwell, Nording, BC, Genod, Chacom, Ser Jacopo, Ferndown, Genod, Johs, Dr. Grabow, Yello-Bole, MM cobs, and others. I guess that is why, though I admire them greatly, I'm not a Dunhill guy. I think I'd send this one back and look to exchange it for a pipe more commensurate with the brand.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
All right good folks, and thank You all for your input,I'am so delighted to hear your opinion which I decidedly will take into account, Next up, I'm to contact this vendor (many year in business)and ask how he would do in this particular case, but for the pipe which costs more than 300$ (total charge with insured shipping was 360e)I would not like to see this kind of mediocre drilling,otherwise I have no complaints as stated before, but hey, this pipe comes with a full 24 months of guarantee against manufacturer faults in materials and workmanship for a period of 24 months from the date of purchase(provided that the certificate is filled in and has seller stamp and signature which btw I don''t see here)either way I'm to contact the very seller today to see what he has to suggest,it is up to him how to proceed further,be it partial or full refund or factory replacement,Let us see,but I won't leave this kind of carelessness and stupidity to remain unnoticed,

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My one and only Dunhill is a Root Oom Paul that I bought as an estate. I paid $225 for it I believe. According to Dunhill, that pipe new would cost around $900-950...... Is it worth what I paid? Yes. Is it worth nearly $1000? NO! It’s a very nice pipe, but I have pipes that were bought new for half what I paid for it that smoke better than it does....96B91A97-B7CE-4926-81E8-2936FD01806F.jpeg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My one and only Dunhill is a Root Oom Paul that I bought as an estate. I paid $225 for it I believe. According to Dunhill, that pipe new would cost around $900-950...... Is it worth what I paid? Yes. Is it worth nearly $1000? NO! It’s a very nice pipe, but I have pipes that were bought new for half what I paid for it that smoke better than it does....View attachment 37192
Exactly. $900? That’s insane.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It seems to me that most White Spot pipes are priced at about twice the price of other excellent up-market pipes of comparable design and quality. Some of the most namey artisans get prices at that level or even higher, but most do not. With that kind of revenue stream, I think it is challenging for White Spot to maintain its quality, when the customer base is so willing. Most other brands are striving to please. I think that is an attitude that is difficult for White Spot to sustain. Everything that "glisters" is not gold.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
The latest Update , finally the seller got back in his business after being ill, and says he and his employees at the stock are always inspecting their pipes prior to shipping especially those higher-end ones that go overseas,and now after inspecting two remaining of the similar model in stock, the store manager says those too weren't much better or worse, so by this shall we draw the conclusion this wonky type of drilling is a new standard for the white spot pipes? Either way, also he accepts the returns, covering the shipping costs back which is fine, but also by my choice, he suggested partial refund of the selling price($45) in case I'd want to keep the pipe which I think I will accept and take the plunge and eventually see how it will perform down the road, however, I can't stop wondering why on earth the store manager would not like to ask the Dunhills in London to take the pipe back under the warranty and send a replacement to his shop, perhaps doing so might have taken decades, and then there is some uncertainties in international mail traffic which I had to take into consideration as well, but yes I may think this might be my final brand new Dunhill,

Reactions: Casual and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The latest Update , finally the seller got back in his business after being ill, and says he and his employees at the stock are always inspecting their pipes prior to shipping especially those higher-end ones that go overseas,and now after inspecting two remaining of the similar model in stock, the store manager says those too weren't much better or worse, so by this shall we draw the conclusion this wonky type of drilling is a new standard for the white spot pipes? Either way, also he accepts the returns, covering the shipping costs back which is fine, but also by my choice, he suggested partial refund of the selling price($45) in case I'd want to keep the pipe which I think I will accept and take the plunge and eventually see how it will perform down the road, however, I can't stop wondering why on earth the store manager would not like to ask the Dunhills in London to take the pipe back under the warranty and send a replacement to his shop, perhaps doing so might have taken decades, and then there is some uncertainties in international mail traffic which I had to take into consideration as well, but yes I may think this might be my final brand new Dunhill,
exactly in the end a warranty is just fine, so is money back.. but it's not a replacement for your time lost or disappointment IMO. The magic is gone before it even appeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.