PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I have noticed you can buy small chunks of meerschaum, volcanic rock, chalk, crystals, wire gauze etc that sit under the tobacco in the bowl.
All claim to improve airflow and cause a better burn. Some claim filtering/absorption properties.

Do they have any merit , or are they just a gimmick?
I am guessing a proper filter works better.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
If you dry your tobacco enough and don't pack too tight, or block the draught hole, these are largely unnecessary.

The small, irregularly shaped stones automatically create pockets or voids to guarantee airflow if the tobacco isn't packed too tight to restrict flow altogether, so they can assist with the smoking experience; the smoker using them might be better off addressing issues that create the "need" for these.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Since my tobacco choice is often not pre-determined and more likely a last minute random selection and I am not a believer in delayed gratification, my tobacco often don't get sufficient dry time.

I find that using meerschaum chips, Nording Keystones, Sharrow Philtpads or meerschaum cones result in a drier smoke, significantly reduced dottle.

They are not necessary if I have the time to dry my tobacco sufficiently.

CDubMoney

Lurker
Apr 25, 2022
East Central Indiana, USA
On old meerschaums they used buttons or such.

Sometimes the button comes out or the hole is just too big so I use these.

View attachment 142291View attachment 142292
They suggest it, "burns to a clean, dry ash."

They appear to be metal. Aluminum cans seems to crumble to ash in a camp fire, but is not something I think I want to inhale. Can you confirm if they're metal? Do they really burn to ash?

Reactions: elvishrunes

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
They suggest it, "burns to a clean, dry ash."

They appear to be metal. Aluminum cans seems to crumble to ash in a camp fire, but is not something I think I want to inhale. Can you confirm if they're metal? Do they really burn to ash?
Metal, not aluminum. The tobacco burns to ash. The grate has survived roughly 100 pipefuls so far.

I have them in over 10 pipes. Nothing has happened to me except a bleeding ulcer, a failed kidney, one amputated leg and an eye that keeps falling out. Other than that I’m the picture of health.

They are available on eBay.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Nope, and nope! Never heard of one, hopefully I never do again?. For all the pipes I’ve ever purchased a good pack is all you need.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have noticed you can buy small chunks of meerschaum, volcanic rock, chalk, crystals, wire gauze etc that sit under the tobacco in the bowl.
All claim to improve airflow and cause a better burn. Some claim filtering/absorption properties.

Do they have any merit , or are they just a gimmick?
I am guessing a proper filter works better.
yeah they do what they say they do. But notice they're not that common.

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
I got some of these screens in my starter kit, and I like them. They're easy to insert/remove (as long as the size matches the bowl, different sizes are available and they're pretty easy to bend into shape as well). They make the bowl a bit smaller. I think they're ideal if you want to use a screen in a tobacco pipe.
pipe screens mesh.jpg

Reactions: yanoJL