PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I can vaguely recall the introduction into the UK of wine bottles stoppered with silicone 'corks'. It was invariably lower end wines that were furnished with these so naturally I've always associated them, rightly or wrongly, with lower end products.

I never really liked them as if I wanted to put the stopper back in the bottle to preserve the contents for another day, they were an absolute swine to get back in. Cork stoppers however always popped right back in, no problem.

That was some years ago, but moving to the present, I last night found a long forgotten about bottle of Knob Creek 9 year old bourbon, one of my favourites, and by no means a 'low end' product. I was dismayed to find the stopper was a plastic lid (quite normal) but silicone stopper which I vaguely remembered from previous bottles of the same. Sure enough it was a bugger to pull out and a bitch to get back in again! I seem to recall Woodford Reserve bourbon also use these stoppers.

That said, every bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon I've had has come with cork stoppers, but cork stoppers that are way too narrow as invariably they split whilst trying to remove them leaving me to resort to a corkscrew to get the remains out of the bottleneck. That is the only cork stoppered bourbon that has done that to me.

So guys, where does your preference lie, cork or silicone?

Regards,

Jay.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Jay, reading your post about keeping alcoholic drinks fresh reminded me of this story Noel Gallagher tells about his brother Liam. It's only about 40 seconds long but you've got to watch it 🍾😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: mawnansmiff
As a winemaker, I have an opinion, but it’s just an opinion. I prefer synthetic corks because they don’t break down with time, and they allow the same micro-oxegenation for aging that a natural cork does.

I’ve had five year and older bottles of really good wine deteriorate to where I had to just push the cork into the bottle. They break down rather fast, in wineaging years.

For a liquor, a synthetic would be essential, because the spirits would deteriorate a natural cork much faster.

Plus, synthetic corks are a wee bit more expensive, but for a winemaker buying bulk, synthetic corks start to add up. So, no, for me I do not think of synthetic corks as being cheap or low quality.

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Now that I have a Durand (all wine collectors should get one). I’m less scared of my older bottles and crumble corks. I think I prefer natural, but haven’t noticed (or tried to notice) any qualitative difference between them.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Real, whole cork stoppers are the most romantic. Composite corks are a cheap compromise. Synthetic stoppers are the most effective. There is no free lunch.

Reactions: edger