PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
Hi all,
I know its a very difficult (and maybe unreasonable) question, but if you want to spend $200 on a pipe, would you go with a Boswell or Tinsky? and why?
Thanks a lot

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Jesus that’s easy. Tinsky. He’s just a much more skilled pipemaker. I know lots of people love Boswells, it’s a great shop, and they’re great people, but put twenty of theirs and twenty of Marks side by side........

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
While I don't have a Boswell, I enjoy my Tinsky a lot. If it matters, Tinsky is doing some very innovative designs. BTW, my avatar is the Tinsky Caldron I own.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
I assumed a Tinsky would be out of my price range. That's pretty reasonable for such a nice looking pipe.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I have 2 Tinsky. I bought a Boswell and immediately sold it as I did not like the workmanship/design. I am sure that they are good pipes just not my style. The Tinsky pipes are my favorite.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
It depends....I own several of both. Boswell makes some shapes/sizes (e.g., Wizard shape, some Jumbo sizes, etc.) Tinsky doesn't. If you like one of those shapes/sizes then Boswell. The construction and smoking characteristics of both are excellent. Tinsky pipes tend to have better grain appearance and are more polished (i.e. less rustic). So it all depends on what pipe is speaking to you.

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
I really love my Boswell, but will also get a Tinsky eventually. Buy the pipe you like the most, they will both be good smokers.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Two entirely different styles, that's for sure. Both men have large followings and I guess it just depends on what style of pipe you are looking for. I've smoked both brands and think they are very nice pipes... just vastly different.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I have 3 Boswell pipes, and love them. However in the last 2 years or so, their designs to me have become more chunky and less refined. I used to visit their page weekly in anticipation of seeing the latest releases. Now when I look at their pipes, nothing seems intriguing or interesting enough that I would obsess, or want to buy that shape. It's almost as if they've stopped seeing the art in the briar.
Of course our tastes all differ; it's why there's chocolate and vanilla ice cream. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.