PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
I'm in New Zealand at the moment and on the way back to blighty i have to change at Dubai airport so will be there for a couple of hours. On the way over i had a look at what pipe baccy the duty free shops had. They sell Davidoff tins and also had some 50g packets of various Borkum Riff (cherry, cavendish etc).

When i looked at the prices the Borkum Riff stuff was around £1.50 for 50g!!!
What is this stuff like, i'm thinking that no matter how bad it is then it's definetly worth it for £1.50 a pack!! Any thoughts or is it so bad i should avoid?

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Trust me, spend your money on the Davidoff, it's gonna be way better that the BR. I think as you get more responses you'll find most people here can't stand BR.

Jul 15, 2011
The Whiskey flavor is what I started smoking a pipe on. Not too bad, as I can recall, because I stuck with it. Cant speak for any of the other ones though

Jul 15, 2011
I think as you get more responses you'll find most people here can't stand BR.
This makes me want to crack open the pouch of Whiskey that I have. Its been years since I smoked the stuff, but it tasted good enough to me to want to keep smoking.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
well just looking at tobaccoreview(dot)com, they have three blends that are rated with three stars, here they are:
Genuine Pure Tobacco: a va/burley mix with light casing. a very light flavored baccy with "an overtone ofnuts, chocolate and coffee" had 8 reviewers
Admiral's Flake Vanilla: well, mix of kentucky/burley, it's a vanilla flake. had 5 reviewers
Scandinavian Mix: another va/burley mix, reviewers say it has "nutty-chocolate taste... which is very delicate and well balanced" had 5 reviewers
The last of their 3 starred rated blends was Classic Pure Tobacco: mix of va/orientals with a light casing, has "agreeable aromas of plum, buts, chocolate and coffee" Has a full bodied taste.
Since I have no experience, and it seems to be a somewhat under the radar brand, I hope this is helpful with you, and really for 1.5 pounds, sounds like it's worth a try. good luck!

nzpiper

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2011
Stay well clear of the "bourbon" yuk!!! No taste of bourbon followed by the breath of Satan. Cheap is not always worthwhile.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I"m not a fan of Borkum Riff, but everyone is different. I say go crazy and load up! Little bit of everything you can fit in your pockets.

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
AT that price buy it well worth the money .if you are flying emmirates use the resturant

upstair they allow you to smoke there as apposed to the small smoking room

downstairs where you get high there as the air is thick with every blend

of tobacco you can think of

david(SCOTLAND)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
They all smell way better than they smoke. If you're a fan of extreme tongue bite then go for it. I, for one, would never buy an Borkum Riff product.

rafterman

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2011
My dad smoked Borkum Riff Burbon Whiskey for probably 20 years. Maybe he didn't know any better but his tounge and tastebuds are still intact. Full Disclosure, I have never tried to smoke it, however b/c of this thread I am going to buy a pouch and give it a shot.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
While I'm a big fan of CB and PA, in my limited experience, BR among the worst tobaccos I've tasted in any form. Just my opinion. I made the mistake of trying the whiskey flavor when starting out and ended up throwing it away.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I smoked BR over 40 years ago,when I was just starting out. Then I discovered Sail Regular (the yellow pack) and Troost Special Cavendish, and began my journey away from drugstore aromatics. (I've smoked both of those recently, and they're not bad at all.)

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey is not too bad. It will bite if you puff too hard but if you are patient, you are rewarded with a nice, flavorful smoke. It isn't a whiskey flavor but more akin to a holiday dessert (fuitcake?). I had tried it many years ago and I wasn't too happy with it. It was bitey and not very flavorful. I think Swedish Match has improved this blend recently because I picked up a fresh pouch and it is very nice and not as rough as I remembered it. Give it a try. The price point makes it worth a shot.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I stopped in Doha in my travels a while back and bought a tin each of Davidoff Green, Red and Blue. I think they great and only spent the equivalent of 5 USD. Can't say much for BR as I haven't tried it but, Davidoff is a high quality baccy.

muntajab

Lurker
Jul 29, 2010
I've tried some blends of Borkum riff like orange and honey, whiskey and pure tobacco. Pure tobacco is the best among them. Also if you want to try Davidoff, I recommend red mixture (mild mixture), or danish mixture.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Speaking of Davidoff, I got a tin of "Flake Medallions" today. Haven't tried it yet though. Davidoff seems to get bad reviews at tobaccoreviews, except for this one.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
out of the lot of br i would proberly go with the black cavandish as it most likely the best of the bunch imo

cant comment of the davidoff though

Status
Not open for further replies.