PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Thanks for the link Kevin. This is the tobacco that I smoked almost exclusively in the 1960's in the NEW danish styled freehand pipes of the times. It will be interesting to read the history of Borkum Riff.

Andy

wizbang

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2011
Thank you Kevin. It was a great read. I have tried two blends, now I'm provoked to try all five!

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Reading this made me go and get a pouch from the local CVS. All they had was the whiskey, its good. Smoking it in my Sav Rusticated Bent Bulldog, it has the perfect bowl for VA tobacco. Nice mellow flavor, more pronounced than CB. This may be my new back up blend when I run out of my everyday go to blend.

Jul 15, 2011
I dont understand why Borkum Riff gets such a bad rap. I remember trying the Whiskey as my very first pipe tobacco ever, and it was good enough to make me want to keep smoking a pipe, so it can't be all that bad. I have two pouches of the stuff that I ordered online a long time ago and it might be time to dig in to a pouch of it to see if it is still what I fell in love with six years ago.

Jul 15, 2011
Hey Kevin, have you had the chance to try Middletons Apple yet? It is tied with Captain Black Royal as my favorite OTC blend. Great stuff if you havent had the chance to try it yet.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Hmm... this seems more like an advertisement than an article or review.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I should give Borkum Riff another try. I had their Ultra Light and it wasn't bad, but not my cup of tea. Pipe Noveist, I do enjoy Middleton's Apple!

danz

Lurker
Jan 11, 2012
New Zealand
In NZ our OTC selection consists of borkum riff and erinmore, have never seen anyone smoke borkum riff and/or recommend it.
We might not get the orlik version or something...

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@Pipe Novelist

Hey Kevin, have you had the chance to try Middletons Apple yet? It is tied with Captain Black Royal as my favorite OTC blend. Great stuff if you havent had the chance to try it yet.
I smoked Middleton's Apple a couple of years ago and just thought it was "ok". I think Captain Black is better, and Borkum Riff is much better.
@bigvan

Hmm... this seems more like an advertisement than an article or review.
I'm guessing you are saying that because there are links to buy the tobacco?
If you haven't noticed, all of our tobacco reviews have links to buy the product. We are not trying to trick anybody. It should be obvious that these are links to place an order if one voluntarily chooses to do so.
Romeowood independently did the reviews, and I do not see them until he submits them, and I do not tell him how to write the reviews.
Putting the links to place orders is an extra service we provide to our readers for convenience and for our advertisers as a way to provide them value-added services for their support. We rotate between different advertisers on different reviews.
Between Mr. Roberts and myself, we have over 10-man-hours into producing this high-quality content that takes someone probably 10 minutes to read. I have 5 hours into it myself for photography, photo-editing, article editing, editor's notes, layout, SEO and html layout.
You're welcome.
I'm just trying to make a living while providing superior service to our readers and advertisers.

pufferissimo

Might Stick Around
Jan 20, 2012
And superior service indeed Kevin!
Each person palate is unique. I found top-notch tobacco to be good, only to find the humble Drum ryo tobacco to be very-very delicious.
Borkum Riff is our currently readily-available baccy here, cant wait for the arrival of the Orlik Version.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Hmm... this seems more like an advertisement than an article or review."

"I'm guessing you are saying that because there are links to buy the tobacco?"
Actually I wrote that because of the overwhelmingly positive slant to the review. I mean, we're talking about Borkum Riff, one of the most pedestrian blends in the world. Imagine reading a culinary review of a Big Mac and the author writes nothing negative about it. Either the author is shilling for the golden arches, in which case it's not a review but a press release, or he has EXTREMELY low standards.
I realize that this is your business, Kevin, and it's impossible to argue the subjective, but honestly! Rave reviews of EVERY Borkum Riff variety are a little hard to take seriously.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Ok, I get where you're coming from BigVan. Everyone has different tastes and preferences, and it may be surprising to read a positive review of Borkum Riff when so many negative ones have been previously published in other places.
I'm generally not a big fan of aromatics, or OTC blends overall. I am being 100% honest when I tell you that I actually like Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey quite a bit.
I think it has become fashionable in some circles to just automatically bash mass-market blends with some people demonstrating tobacco-snobbery, and others exhibiting a crowd-mentality of jumping on the bandwagon. Both of those behaviors are a complete turn-off to me.
In my opinion, 95% of the people that do reviews are far, far away from actually being qualified to do a professional review, and a lot of crap gets published.
That's NOT the case here.
But I respect your opinion, and this is nothing personal. I actually enjoy your participation here.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Kevin, I think this site has starting getting a lot of drama queens that can put it out there but have trouble getting in back at them. Just saying its weird. I like the review and so what if its kinda one sided, if ya like it ya like it. OTC blends pull in the most money when it comes down to sales. Why? Its like Budwieser, the middle aged blue collar person is the majority, its the minorities that think you got to spend the big bucks for the pleasure of a good beer or a good smoke.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
I remember finding BR Whiskey very bitey when I first tried it. I moved away from it for years but I saw a pouch on the shelf recently with new art, etc so I gave it a shot. I honestly believe that this 'baccy has been improved not only in mellowness but also in quality of leaf. In spite of my preconceived notions, I really did like it! I have since moved BR from "I'll pass" to "I'd recommend it".
Converted BR Snob. :puffy:

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I'm happy for everyone who smokes Borkum Riff and enjoys it. I tried two pouches of the Whiskey two different times and it didn't trip my trigger. Too much tongue bite to suit me. But like I say, if it works for you, more power to you!
Smokey

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I'm not judging anyone who likes BR. I just could never get through a pouch of the stuff...I had to stop after half a bowl. But of course, to each their own.
Someone must like it or they wouldn't make it anymore.
I thought about it and that does look like an ad for the company, primadonnas or drama queens or whatever. I wouldn't link to it if I had a pipe blog.

biloxi123

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2011
Layton, UT
Thanks for the info! I really must give this another shot. Didn't care for it when I tried it a year ago. It seemed to be much maligned in the reviews I've read and that may have affected my judgement. I've tried lots of different "premium" tobaccos since then so, I may have a different perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.