PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Those who can, do. Those who can't, criticize.
And some who criticize can themselves do exceptionally well. I know these videographers are amateurs, and the difference between them and the pros that I work with is that the pros work hard at creating a show, critique their work mercilessly and the work gets reviewed almost daily and those reviews are unstinting. And all of that is in service to providing their audience with the best product that they can offer.
There are some in the YTPC who make a serious effort to offer something to others, and there are the majority who clearly don't make an effort because it's all about themselves and there's little to no awareness of their audience.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Those who can, do. Those who can't, criticize. If you don't like a vid, don't watch. And, maybe you should cobble one together and show how it should be done.

I, myself, never watch amateur videos. I'd rather stuff a bowl, when there is time and read a book as I smoke if at home.
You know that’s not how trolls go trolling.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
It’s the nature of videos Pipesmokers.
Fixed.

I think in general a lot of YTPC channels want to get a audience that are pipesmokers, which are generally the same. A lot of cigar YouTube channels the guys are mostly (some excluded) the typical cigar smoker, a bit loud, a bit brash, a bit more testosterone. There is nothing wrong with that, you are who you are. I am a cigar lover, but wouldn't consider myself near that level. Also listen to cigar or pipe podcasts like our own of this website: in cigar podcasts they are generally talking trash (a lot about each other) and not giving a lot of info, where a radioshow of this site is a lot more informative. Sure they joke around but not for hours on end. Its like that on all social media, its just the nature of the content in general.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Explosions! Explosions should always be included. Especially in footage with poor production values. Which includes most YT stuff because, who is going to invest a lot of money in a YT production?

I think a lot can be learned doing YT stuff if the producer wants to learn and improve. Proper criticism including specifics from the experienced is part of that learning.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I respect the views of our senior pipe smokers. Early on, videos on YouTube were extremely helpful to me before I knew about this forum. If ya don’t like folks opinions…move on. As I will with this post. Best!☕
I don't think that's the complaint. I think it is more the presentation and how horribly amateur it is. And not just in a oh you are being too picky way, but in a your whole point is watered down and muddled by your lack of editing (almost said skills, but just lack of editing).
The thing is I don't think it's fair to blame the guys for that. Any subject has these kinds of videos. The big difference is that's about all we have. There aren't a lot of pro level videos out there. All the other things I watch there are both styles and honestly that's the complaint. Not that people make these rambling videos (like my comment) but that no one or few people are making concise videos.
So final point the problem is demonetization. The solution maybe giving generously to the patreon or such thing of people who do make concise, edited, professional, and most importantly very time consuming videos about pipe smoking. Someone wants to buy me a decent camera I can start making something, no promises they'll be happy with it (it's called a gamble for a reason).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
And some who criticize can themselves do exceptionally well. I know these videographers are amateurs, and the difference between them and the pros that I work with is that the pros work hard at creating a show, critique their work mercilessly and the work gets reviewed almost daily and those reviews are unstinting. And all of that is in service to providing their audience with the best product that they can offer.
There are some in the YTPC who make a serious effort to offer something to others, and there are the majority who clearly don't make an effort because it's all about themselves and there's little to no awareness of their audience.
And also the mark of a pro is they always make it look so much easier then it actually is. A great actor makes it look like all you have to do is walk to an X and talk naturally.
Kind of reminds me of how every single time someone takes a big risk that pays off, one of the most commonly thrown criticism is how hard they pandered and how obvious their success was.

Reactions: sablebrush52
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Fixed.

I think in general a lot of YTPC channels want to get a audience that are pipesmokers, which are generally the same. A lot of cigar YouTube channels the guys are mostly (some excluded) the typical cigar smoker, a bit loud, a bit brash, a bit more testosterone. There is nothing wrong with that, you are who you are. I am a cigar lover, but wouldn't consider myself near that level. Also listen to cigar or pipe podcasts like our own of this website: in cigar podcasts they are generally talking trash (a lot about each other) and not giving a lot of info, where a radioshow of this site is a lot more informative. Sure they joke around but not for hours on end. Its like that on all social media, its just the nature of the content in general.
The only cigar channel I will watch is CigarObsession. I can’t stand the personalities of any other cigar based content creator.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
The only cigar channel I will watch is CigarObsession. I can’t stand the personalities of any other cigar based content creator.
There is also the friends of habanos channel which is quite entertaining with sometimes a killer 10 or 15 years aged cigar. They are Australian so how can it not be. But your right, I think Cigar Obsession is one of the channels that is the most watchable.

Edit: the Privada channel is also sometimes entertaining if you can read between the lines, there is sometimes great info, you'll have to like "we are a community, I don't do it for the money but for you" blahblahblah.

Reactions: fireground_piper

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I have to admit I'm surprised. When I started this thread I figured I would stir up some backlash against myself. Seems I'm not the only one who felt this way about the videos. So, the way I see it now is that there are a lot of guys who want the videos to continue, but would just like the producers to do a little better job of making them. Let's hope it happens.

Reactions: sablebrush52