Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Automatic updates will take care of all that sexist language on your Charles Dickens digital books.
Indeed. Then there's that rascal Twain...definitely have to clean up his ramblings.
Not to mention history and current events in general...and everything else that might corrupt or otherwise unsettle the masses.
Not to worry though...at some point it'll all be taken care of by "AI" at the Ministry of Truth (pay no attention to that man behind the curtain).
("Fire" ... interesting name Amazon chose.)
It'll be a brave new world eventually...we're well on the way already.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I am a bit like Cosmic in that I cannot bear to part with books having read them. In my case this means I brought boxes of books to Australia when I move here in 2012 and they are still in the shippers storage! It's handy they are still in crates though because that'll make it easier to ship them to Brazil when we move in October :puffpipe:
The only books in my apartment are the ones we've bought since we moved here; so that's a mere 3 Ikea Billy Bookcases of detective novels, railway history, Catholic religious works, cookbooks and Australian fauna/flora books.
Odd thing is I am 1 of 4 brothers; 2 of us live surrounded by books and the other 2 just borrow books from a library and never seem to buy any - must have saved them fortune over the years.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
This is my old home office, shows about a fifth of the books. This is the upper right corner of the sketch I made before building it out.
AaYvGl8LK5fXSojKkb1yGTba7E9X4d2j8eOb4ZdO83jEQyamSh17CUnl2S5RIbosb9tfabSp1nzHWllGJyRp9oqncyVLF5TcLSlzdEs6ewmdBGJTCN8S3CLs1StqtmQx9AB7EMmOVrHkcQlhOY2jHuCWm6Md7EXRRNNTtJC9y-aq2AsfJhCsOYi4vTjYEyYHQOf4iNoLyJ4TOCdKvD4umnUtkn-YSUh1GXWiyDU6leWhMMlkrxYDif2yYwqAwFThZEarl8UFeCbiDoBZSGKRAAOlDFdUohBLaX4wsQzTqeFYdVhLdXlOP2Od2EyLZ4tNTXSk_a-2jPacxG_VXPm5vJiTgVZjZEFZOcgyo13zVI3MYmKnnH_vTuu_Xy8hFrzHICi51pc2m8gKVxYGJ2SpgkF2ZyAXecdVHbq85LV2Uhkb7SQrHdS5bPdc7uJx8_G9_KNDmXmDUOTQivph2_yT8OllOSqmoRZX9L2GjV3Q_cRRcpNEeBE61jUuRgu6-XNrKefhsm6_1oecRpum-zKxllvYDgaPxcXlKrc9LcsmgnXCRoqNg8ujh6reOEes1NANx-0dqBQV9BmSyRl1agcO_hQv36GLeIrPFC3CJL3F9mUfsp3owVQ7t6jqmcDLfnpOS_jmjLdmKQSWCeeJg-u4spDb2PP0RX7T=w1900-h1424-no

TqrIqKDZwZ1XUpaNc8-CKPXyLCUgB7ZgxI49Rp40OTHxUJIL13BC4fp66MG7IgVlnZGEkgKA4s7n9Y1g76eIZY-b1zjDn-CZQpZOuhgOYfNXX3JwtvFhqan-d77l9A66iNekeXADJ3jRUWqsIfaIjuXACsDry0YrtQGkie1PvTNTUlopJNRQAjuvfXB3FphdOM0eMUaeTZZknYgHJm5NECvgfFxBYjUquOsSlDrbcF0UOAUu0WLdbxkL8hc1yZcAshNwTqyCXWHq3ZDfq_YpzoPFVD2nuWEuOhsUrxPjMUtPCIvXvQfOm45c83wVU7VpO9_VYC5W9wwcVWU6N-yeC8NOzXEhtEE47qWKbUs-2193jK3yVsqWjBMxuqf8KQIal81lVgyIn9TtstN_c94D-4um-hYKxpgCJ3uO2w2H3gBSv5UEn4Z-36m7G1U79awknC_8VW-_HWrhQMKCfqg0H0myfJKWWWXKZY5VZTAX73xOelIC7X4VcUbsPdxn3ToaZr7yHIDw620fMKJHvbmLEps1Y64Dsra1G3xapN8RFVMLTvMRFbGkRuG2rm0Opl4v3vNxtr6irkMQoqYc434P4H3Z1Fey3CK1BLJJXj_Nv72t8nEbK5_1TmCDnSSae6_p09nDShzvnKOSTJ7L5sUcatJaCgFxqXJp=w1900-h1424-no

In our new location, the books are split half and half between my home office and office office. And I donated a couple of thousand to the library before we moved. Liberating in some ways, though sometimes I envy those that still have every book they've read.
Cheers!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@cosmic: awesome pics btw...love seeing all those books.
@pipehunter: :worship:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I have books all over the house; every available shelf and dozens of boxes. I pity my kids having to sort it out when I’m dead, but not enough to actually do anything about it. I’m guessing a massive funeral pyre will be the way to go. I just hope they jack up the insurance on the house first.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Oh, I must log in to Poogle in order to see Pipehunter's pics. Yeah, we're already there... :|
Yeah, photobucket was giving me a hard time. Sorry about that.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
@Cosmic - You have two copies of Alfred Hitchcock's HAUNTED HOUSEFUL (second pic, lower left corner). Can you please put them on the same shelf...it looks messy. :nana:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
This is mostly my wife's collection of classic literature. My books are about music composition and aviation topics and they are scattered all over the house in piles where ever I happened to set them down. I've been giving my books away recently since there really isn't any reason to horde them at my age. Better to get them into the hands of younger people who could learn from them and enjoy them.
Cosmic, I see you have the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. I read those to my boys when they were little. I thought they were the best children's literature ever at the time. I enjoyed reading them aloud as much my kids enjoyed hearing them read!
C2fsbZS.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@Cosmic - You have two copies of Alfred Hitchcock's HAUNTED HOUSEFUL (second pic, lower left corner). Can you please put them on the same shelf...it looks messy.
One of them is trying to escape from underneath the L. Ron Hubbard books.
This is mostly my wife's collection of classic literature.
:clap:

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I love books. I enjoy the heft of them, I enjoy their smell when you open them. All you need is a halfway decent pair of eyes and a little light to operate a book. I love the fact that, even if an author kicks out a revision, my copy doesn't change. I grew up with them. It's always going to be my preferred medium for literary consumption.
That said, I mostly read books and news on my iPad Pro anymore. It's like being able to fit a stack of books under my arm like a clipboard, and it provides its own light source when necessary. Like the bulk of my pipe collection, nearly all my books are still packed up and in storage in this intermediate period while I live in rental property while shopping for a permanent house (or lot to build on). I still pick up a Sunday paper nearly every weekend, though ...

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
Cosmic, I think I want to visit and just smoke a pipe and then disappear into your book shed for a good week or 2.
Sadly, my physical book collection is almost non-existant now (several turbulent years with lots of moving caused most of it to go missing), however I'm in the process of building it back up.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
reading and hiding from their chores.
Ah, to be young again. My dad used to let me slide on certain rules such as bedtime and when a particular chore had to be done if I was reading. At least to a degree but it didn't work for watching TV. Reading only. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.