Bong Like Pipe for Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

It always makes me wonder just how traditional it is not to inhale pipe smoke. Why would you need to filter the smoke like that if you were just going to taste the smoke? And, if pipesmokers never inhaled, why did inhaling cigarettes become a thing? I have had about six cigarettes since quitting them for pipes, and I just treated the smoke like pipe smoke and got a quick taste of tobacco on the fly. Was it marketed as something that must be inhaled? How did word get out that you must inhale cigs but not pipes, just word of mouth? If so, how did it become such a consistent thing across the globe, or is this a recent phenomena?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It always makes me wonder just how traditional it is not to inhale pipe smoke. Why would you need to filter the smoke like that if you were just going to taste the smoke? And, if pipesmokers never inhaled, why did inhaling cigarettes become a thing? I have had about six cigarettes since quitting them for pipes, and I just treated the smoke like pipe smoke and got a quick taste of tobacco on the fly. Was it marketed as something that must be inhaled? How did word get out that you must inhale cigs but not pipes, just word of mouth? If so, how did it become such a consistent thing across the globe, or is this a recent phenomena?
Until very recently, I guess, there were large number of Slick Smokers around.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019

In my OPINION….. I suspect that the farther back you go in pipe smoking history…. the more you have folks who inhaled pipe smoke. My reasoning is such….. tobacco is tobacco….. until other casings and treatments make it into “pipe tobaccos” of the huge array of varieties we have today. I would imagine simple, plain tobacco used in the 1600s, 1700s, and 1800s was regularly inhaled by the smoker….. and most folks smoked pipes or cigars.

I suspect the same is true of cigars before they became “fancy”. They were just regular, rolled tobacco…… and I suspect the same tobacco was typically used in pipes, cigars, and cigarettes through at least the end of the 1800s.

So, in my OPINION, not inhaling pipe smoke is a relatively newer mindset. And, even with that newer mindset…. there is a sizable minority of pipe smokers who do inhale pipe smoke in the modern era….. several polls and several discussions here have shown there is a minority of us who do so.

In my OPINION….. I suspect that the farther back you go in pipe smoking history…. the more you have folks who inhaled pipe smoke. My reasoning is such….. tobacco is tobacco….. until other casings and treatments make it into “pipe tobaccos” of the huge array of varieties we have today. I would imagine simple, plain tobacco used in the 1600s, 1700s, and 1800s was regularly inhaled by the smoker….. and most folks smoked pipes or cigars.

I suspect the same is true of cigars before they became “fancy”. They were just regular, rolled tobacco…… and I suspect the same tobacco was typically used in pipes, cigars, and cigarettes through at least the end of the 1800s.

So, in my OPINION, not inhaling pipe smoke is a relatively newer mindset. And, even with that newer mindset…. there is a sizable minority of pipe smokers who do inhale pipe smoke in the modern era….. several polls and several discussions here have shown there is a minority of us who do so.
Yeh, we did not have Flue Curing nor cigarettes till mid 19th century. Latakia and the likes wasn't till about 1880. So, all tobacco would have been hardcore burleys till after the Civil War.

Reactions: OzPiper

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I believe cigarettes were invented specifically to GET people to inhale, so they would become more dependent on tobacco than pipe smokers, and therefore sell more cigarettes and make more money per pound on tobacco itself. It's a money racket

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Many bong smokers develop a fixation where they say a joint or my little pipe is "not the same" as a bong [which is utter fucking nonsense].
It's no different to my mind that a junkies needle fixation [a junkie considers any other delivery a "waste"]

In my youth I always won the bong smoking contests, pulling 'party cones' [designed for 3-4 hits] in one go.
That briar pipes bowl is way too big to smoke weed. [Shit and we pipe smokers think learning to pack tobacco is a bit of a learning curve, lol]

No way was it designed to smoke anything other than tobacco IMO.
The point of a bong is that the water cools the smoke making it smoother.
That would be the point of that pipe, for when tobacco was way stronger [and maybe as rough as guts] compared to most blends these days.

Bongs are dirty bloody things [why I switched to a little pipe many years ago] and although I rather like the novelty of that briar water pipe, it would need cleaning after every bowl.

Reactions: HopHand and OzPiper