PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
It's all about the ghosts. I have a bunch of pipes that look awesome. A bunch smell like captain black himself died and decomposed in there 200 years ago. A silver stanwell blast that I swear is lined with an invisible impenetrable waterproof lining. A few have major scorched walls that just didn't show on any pictures, and a few cracked tenons that were unreturnable. All of the bad ones were not from the reputable pipe sellers. Some were actually new, but hidden defects came after a few smokes. SP would have taken them back, but not random ebay people. A bunch of lessons learned for sure.

This experience is definitely anomalous IMO. I have only got a lemon maybe 1/10 if that, and most of the time any ghost can be smoked out pretty quickly. Not buying pipes with insufficient pictures helps.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
agree. I mean I've had some ghosts but honestly I sometimes find them pleasant.
and they go away with time.. just gotta smoke em out.
I've had those ghosts too. These are on a whole other level. My aversion to CB to so strong that it must be something in my past truly terrible. 30 smokes in, and they won't even diminish. It's not worth it.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I thought $40 was pretty darn cheap to start with. I hoped I could just buy another stem or something. With the work put into these pipes, I can't imagine he's making much money on them.
A good stem might cost you 20$ +, but then again so do the forever stems for cobs so that's a wash either way. I chew through cob stems as well.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
eBay pipes can be shady especially with their picture taking skills but plenty on here have found gems to brag about. I don't quite look often or thoroughly to find them. I have quite enjoyed Instagram pipe makers though, there's plenty of talent out there at reasonable prices atleast before they get famous!

Reactions: brunot and BROBS

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Considering there are MM cobs with acrylic stems costing almost 40 dollars these days, Morgan Bones are not too bad for the price. But I also agree there are better options in the market for fully finished, better shaped pipes at the same price level. As someone mentioned before, Scott's burners are great. So are lower end Tsuges, Stanwells and a whole lot of basket pipes out there.

Having said that, I used to own a Morgan stubby poker and... Well, it did smoke fine. The pipe was ugly, the fit was atrocious and the button too large to clench comfortably. But the drilling was ok and I didn't experience nothing similar to acrylic bits shedding from the internals. A bit too expensive for what it was, I guess, but not too shabby.

Well, I bought that pipe to take it to the limit and test out some myths about briar. I wanted to challenge all accepted notions about the care of pipes and that pipe was to be my test subject.

So I made that Morgan Bone my office desk pipe and I smoked it every business day a bunch of times without allowing it to rest for almost two years. It never burned out and never got sour. I also took the stem apart from the stummel while it was still warm after every smoke and cleaned it agressively with paper towels and cleaners. The tenon got a little loose but the shank never cracked.

I broke every rule I learned about pipes and that Morgan Bone took the abuse like a trooper. I loved that pipe. It became a friend and a companion, and really taught me a lot. I gave it to a friend not long ago because he wanted a good sitting pipe to smoke while he worked with his hands. I don't regret giving it away, but I still miss it to this day.

Sappy story aside, I'll probably never get another one. But they're okay.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Considering there are MM cobs with acrylic stems costing almost 40 dollars these days, Morgan Bones are not too bad for the price. But I also agree there are better options in the market for fully finished, better shaped pipes at the same price level. As someone mentioned before, Scott's burners are great. So are lower end Tsuges, Stanwells and a whole lot of basket pipes out there.

Having said that, I used to own a Morgan stubby poker and... Well, it did smoke fine. The pipe was ugly, the fit was atrocious and the button too large to clench comfortably. But the drilling was ok and I didn't experience nothing similar to acrylic bits shedding from the internals. A bit too expensive for what it was, I guess, but not too shabby.

Well, I bought that pipe to take it to the limit and test out some myths about briar. I wanted to challenge all accepted notions about the care of pipes and that pipe was to be my test subject.

So I made that Morgan Bone my office desk pipe and I smoked it every business day a bunch of times without allowing it to rest for almost two years. It never burned out and never got sour. I also took the stem apart from the stummel while it was still warm after every smoke and cleaned it agressively with paper towels and cleaners. The tenon got a little loose but the shank never cracked.

I broke every rule I learned about pipes and that Morgan Bone took the abuse like a trooper. I loved that pipe. It became a friend and a companion, and really taught me a lot. I gave it to a friend not long ago because he wanted a good sitting pipe to smoke while he worked with his hands. I don't regret giving it away, but I still miss it to this day.

Sappy story aside, I'll probably never get another one. But they're okay.
Nice story and kinda gross to give your buddy sloppy seconds!

I think such a relic should have remained in your stable and a reminder of those days past, well maybe that's just me!

Also, that's exactly what I am looking for, so if the stem is too thick, I can work on it and not worry.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Nice story and kinda gross to give your buddy sloppy seconds!

I think such a relic should have remained in your stable and a reminder of those days past, well maybe that's just me!

Also, that's exactly what I am looking for, so if the stem is too thick, I can work on it and not worry.

Well, that's what estate pipes are after all: someone else's sloppy seconds. I'm fine with that.

By then I had substituted my desk pipe for a Briarworks poker. Since I wouldn't be smoking it anymore, I thought I should just pass it on. A pipe is meant to be smoked or else it ceases to be a pipe!

Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Little beast came in today! It's definitely going to take some time to get used to as it has a steep rake but the bit help it stay put without much clenching power if at all.

Now to color her up, any suggestions other than smoking the crap out if it?

Some say to run lotion or oil to bring out the grain better.
IMG_20200305_171501.jpg

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
Have two bones and they are both workhorses. Smoke well. Age well. And dont have to worry about scratches/dings/discoloration. $40 a Chunky piece of briar that smokes well is ok in my book

Reactions: SpookedPiper

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I'm seeing a lot of Bones pipes online lately. To those who have acquired them-What do you think? I like the modern lines and shapes that I have seen.

I have three total. Two purchased directly from their website and one on Ebay that the person had darkened the wood . The regular sized ones smoke really well. One is a Bent Dublin shape and the Ebay one is a Hungarian/Oom Paul shape. The third one has no stem (it is called a ONE) and is too short. Kind of a glovebox pipe, but could not get used to it being so short. My bent Dublin is starting to color from normal use and I am very happy with it. The Hungarian also smokes well. I don't worry about treating them a bit rough and the make good "outdoor chores pipes". Recommend.

Reactions: docpierce
Status
Not open for further replies.