PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
No. Meerschaum continued to use screw in tenons for decades, though not necessarily bone. I'm assuming that there was more of a concern about cracking the shank by using a push tenon that led to continuing with screw-in assembly, but that's just an idle speculation.
I’d think a push tenon directly into meer would never last... would get all hogged out.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Whereas some much more recent meerschaums might have a plastic mortise sleeve insert, and a plastic stem insert, and a push-in piece that goes between the two. Some have push into the stem only and screw into the shank insert (or the other way around).

Reactions: BROBS

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
No. Meerschaum continued to use screw in tenons for decades, though not necessarily bone. I'm assuming that there was more of a concern about cracking the shank by using a push tenon that led to continuing with screw-in assembly, but that's just an idle speculation.
I have a bone screw in tenon meerschaum pipe that is from early 1900’s to mid 1900’s and I was hoping to narrow that window.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
What a cool pipe all the way around! From the design to the tenon to the button. It looks like it is in great shape for as old as it is too. Is that an amber stem?
It’s unsmoked. I’d be curious as to what others think of the age but I’m thinking turn of the century to 1920s.
I believe the stem is horn. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.