PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Paging a Forums pipe historian, paging a Forums pipe historian. I didn't know that was ever a standard practice. I thought a Vulcanite stem usually came with a Vulcanite tenon. Members have assured me that bone stems are a good material choice, but that's most of what I know about bone as a pipe material.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Just found a post by @sablebrush52 in the nether regions of the archives. It has helped place a rough date range which I think we all probably assumes anyways:

Reactions: trubka2

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Not sure. I do have an Albertson with a horn stem and screw on tenon. That pipe is probably from the 50's. I haven't been able to find much on the make.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have a Peterson with horn stem and bone tenon. It’s a push tenon though, oddly enough.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Do you have some? Could you post a photo, please?
I have just purchased a bulldog, when it arrives I’ll put some pics up. The photos where really bad and there was no description in the listing apart from “pipe”. The seller said it has no markings on it but it looks unsmoked, has a screw bone tenon and orofic button

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Most makers had abandoned bone tenons by the years around the turn from the 19th to the 20th centuries. They were dead meat by the early 1920's.
Have you ever seen a push bone tenon? I’ll have to snap a pic of mine tonight. It’s an unsmoked Ireland souvenir pipe with shamrocks etc. most likely a K&P second carved locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.