PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
How do you clean off body oil on pipe. I'm more cautious these days, washing my hands before smoking, but my finger oils have darkened my older pipes. How to clean?

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
How do you clean off body oil on pipe. I'm more cautious these days, washing my hands before smoking, but my finger oils have darkened my older pipes. How to clean?
I’ve had good luck with Murphy’s soap with toothbrush on rusticated ones and a soft cloth on the smooth. Just have to be very careful not to get it in the bowl or stem

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
None of my pipes are collecters' items, so I rather like the patina some of them develop.
The darkening could be dirt and oils mixing with the waxed surface. If that is the case, a damp cloth, maybe with some soap, should be enough. If the patina develops on the briar itself or on the stain, it can't be removed without removing the stain. Even then, it will probably have to be sanded off.
You are entering refurbisher territory.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
sr1c14f3.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: bullet08

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I try to wash the body pillow off but I don't scrub. Other than natural tan pipes, doesn't make much difference. Below is a before after Rubio pipe that has colored a fair amount in two years. The first pic isn't brand new but it hasn't darkened much at that point.

View attachment 41224

View attachment 41225
I know it’s a typo but I’m rolling at Hoosier washing his body pillow. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.