Bob Dylan- Happy Birthday! 76 Years Old!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I love Bob Dylan.

I can't believe he's 76........ where does the time go?.......... Any other fans here? The poet of a whole generation, I love the guy, and wish him well............. :clap:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I did not appreciate Mr. Dylan until I was in my late 40s and was living in his home state of Minnesota. I recall listening to the radio on a weekend car trip when I heard his "Ballad of a Thin Man." A somewhat haunting and eerie song, it fit mood that day and inspired me to purchase what became the first of many CDs.
Fast-forward some 10-years and I had the pleasure of seeing him in concert. All I can say is WOW!

th

It's true, he can't sing, at least not in the traditional sense, yet his voice, lyrics, and music all work together to form something greater than the sum of their parts. It just works, and I am glad.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
A legend. I'm 38 so I never saw him in concert back in the day. I believe in 2008 he played a show in The Capitol Theater. I was working a few blocks away from there when my sister called and told me she had an extra ticket for me if I wanted to go. I'm pretty sure it was a Dylan birthday show. The show was incredible. Seeing Dylan in concert was on my bucket list. He's a master poet. Good for him for making it into his 70's.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I really enjoy the work of Bob Dylan from his start up to 1966, but after that, his stuff isn't for me. An artistic genius for sure!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm a great fan but stopped buying his music after his album 'Time Out Of Mind'. I did not like that one at all.
As regards his singing, I believe he is on record admitting himself he cannot sing!
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Love me some Dylan. I have had the pleasure of being literally front row center 2 times in my life at his shows, and both were really awesome. I was surprised how much he played lead guitar and improvised. During his encore set at one show I think he played 6 songs, you thought he was done, and he would pace in a circle thinking about what to play and pull out another classic. (This was probably 14-ish years ago.)

The man definitely has changed music and made an impression on countless musicians and fans.

Cheers to you Dylan!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
He's a promising young man. After that Nobel Prize, I think he might make a real career of music. However, he might want to take an online course in medical billing as a back-up plan.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's true, he can't sing, at least not in the traditional sense, yet his voice, lyrics, and music all work together to form something greater than the sum of their parts. It just works, and I am glad.
Well said. I actually don't mind his singing on his own songs...it's part of his uniqueness. I just usually listen to him in measured doses...have to be in the correct mood/frame of mind.
I'm a great fan but stopped buying his music after his album 'Time Out Of Mind'. I did not like that one at all.
Oh man...hard to believe you dislike it that much. I'm often tempted to consider TOOM my favorite Dylan album. Highlands is one of my all time favorite songs of his.
The man's influence (direct and indirect) on so many different musical artists for many decades now is immeasurable.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
"I was surprised how much he played lead guitar and improvised."
All of his guitar is improvised. Nobody on stage knows what he's playing, not even him. Was lucky enough to catch him recently a couple years back with Leon Russel before his passing. Countless hours spent traveling the country listening to Dylan and Willie.
Just put on John Wesley Harding, haven't played any Dylan in a while.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
What I do find astonishing about the man is how he is able to memorize all his lyrics, some being quite obstruse and surely difficult for the average person to remember let alone the original writer.
Regards,
Jay.

Dec 28, 2015
True genius. One of many artists I have had to defend being a fan of over the years. I really don't understand why that is necessary.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I saw Dylan on tour with Mellencamp and Willie Nelson. Willie had burnt out his voice, but talked through his songs and his sister did her remarkable ragtime, and Willie just loves the crowd, no matter what. Mellencamp affronted the whole stadium with over-amped versions of all his music, one of these deals where people put in ear plugs or leave to hunker behind the stadium. But Dylan was superb, on all keyboard; he did none of his numbers from before about 2000, all more recent work. I just wished I'd been able to just see that set. The rest wasn't worth it, though I like Willie when he's in voice.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I've seen Bob twice. The best was the tour he did with Paul Simon...that was a great show.

Status
Not open for further replies.