PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I was curious if anyone has any experience with Bluebird pipes... Not much info turned up online, and searching the forums, there was a post similar to this one about a year ago, and I see one member post in the WAYS thread that he's smoking one. Other than that... zilch. Am I taking one for the team?

I normally prefer classic shapes, but I found these Bluebirds to be pretty attractive, and I really liked the thin, but kind of shapely shanks on them. The price is is also pretty reasonable, ranging from $100-$150 depending on sandblasted or smooth. Well, TP had their Black Friday sale, and that dropped the price down to about $75, so I pulled the trigger on a red blast Rhodesian shape. Here is a picture of a similar pipe, since my camera is giving me problems. I am going to feed the pipe its first bowl in a few minutes, GLP's Westminster. It is definitely on the smaller side, though the chamber and bowl are quite decently sized. Very lightweight. Acrylic stem. First pipe I've owned that is less than 5" in length (it's 4.91"). I don't know if that qualifies as a nosewarmer, but it's shorter than I'm used to. Excited to take it for a spin. If I like it, I may get one of their Dublin or egg shapes.

BL_GU_30_3.jpg

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I’m interested in your thoughts about it when you get it. I’ve looked at them a few times, as a couple of their shapes are really appealing. If I remember correctly, they are made in Italy, and I have had a couple conversations with Paul, who imports them, and they have high marks from him. That one’s a beauty!

Reactions: danimalia

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Those are nice looking pipes. I like the long skinny shanks.
I do wish there was a bent version.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
I had my first bowl last night and thought it was pretty good. Most of my briar pipes gurgle a bit until I break them in, but nothing with the bird. Granted, it was GLP Westminster, which is a very easy smoking blend, but I thought it performed well. Because of its size and light weight, it almost felt like a toy in the hand, which was kind of weird. Chamber is more generous than I would have guessed even from its dimensions (1.47" x .79"). If it continues to smoke like this, I probably will grab one of the Dublin or Egg shapes. I did notice one fairly big pit, and the rim is a bit uneven from the blast, but small complaints given the price.

Reactions: Elric and rogers

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Those are nice looking pipes. I like the long skinny shanks.
I do wish there was a bent version.

Even though I haven't been able to find much info on Bluebird, I'd guess there's a connection with this maker, Vitale, because, well, just look at the shapes. Some of his are bent, though generally pretty slight. A bit more expensive, too, so maybe Bluebird is like his version of Mastro Gepetto or something. Just a guess.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not a big variety of shapes but interesting. Too expensive for me now, but likely would have grabbed one a few years ago.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Unique and very nice looking. Also a big fan of the shank shaping. And the unique shapes in general. Might have to pick one up soon.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
So I've had 3 bowls in it now, and aside from a couple of funky notes here and there in the first bowl, which I attribute to the chamber coating, it smokes extremely well. I was shocked, smoking a bowl of C&D Oak Alley, at just how much flavor it delivered. I love Oak Alley, and I was getting the normal sweet and sour notes, but also a lot of deep, ripe fruit flavors. Then yesterday, I smoked some GHC Dark Plug, and the bird provided me a ridiculously long, 145 minute smoke. The listed specs for the chamber are 1.46" x .79", but it seems to hold a ton of tobacco, land smoke way longer than those measurements would indicate.

I did get a bit of gurgle in the bowl of Dark Plug, but in my experience, most new pipes have a little gurgle (or a lot) until I break them in, so I suspect it will go away. So far, which isn't very far at all, I am quite pleased and would definitely buy another, even at regular retail price.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Only downside so far is that it almost feels like a toy because It's very light and feels a bit fragile, but that just might be my paranoia about breaking the shank more than anything else.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's an attractive sand blast finish, and the shape is stylish. Since it is short, there is the temptation to use it as a pocket pipe, but it has a very thin shank, so I wouldn't do that. Small pipes have advantages, for short smokes, or if you want a longer smoke, go to flake/coin/plug/or rope, which will give you 30 or 40 minutes or a little more. Also, the light weight makes them easy clenchers, easy on the teeth and jaw. Nice pipe; you'll like it I think.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Only downside so far is that it almost feels like a toy because It's very light and feels a bit fragile, but that just might be my paranoia about breaking the shank more than anything else.
But should you accidentally man handle it, it won't be a huge loss as the price was pretty good if I remember.

I thing they look pretty cool because of that shank! Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.