PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, I mean that. I think Blue Room Briars is amazing, and I had to make a post about this site sponsor because they have gone above and beyond with their company. Scott is an absolute joy to talk to, and he will write you a short essay to answer your questions. Jesse Jones does amazing hand finishing on their pipes to ensure that they are unique and incredible smokers.

Earlier this year I bought four pipes from Blue Room Briars because I just couldn’t help myself. I started with an unsmoked Ashton that had a small crack expertly repaired in house by Jesse Jones for $99. After that I couldn’t stop for a while. They have a great selection of estate pipes, and their house made pipes are perfection. I am going to include a photo of all of the pipes, then some close-ups of three of the pipes.

In order from top to bottom:

Blue Room Briars Sandblasted Apple: The Blue Room Briars house-made pipes are made from a minimum of 50 year old aged briar and hand finished by Jesse Jones. The blast on mine is incredible, and the draw is absolute perfection. I cannot see how a pipe can get better than this. This thing smokes as well or better than my pre-transition Barlings and Dunhills, and it’s only getting better as I break it in.

Loewe Centurion (Family Era): Supposedly made from 100 year old Algerian Briar, the Centurion was top of the line during the pre-Cadogan era. This thing looks unsmoked.

Pre-Transition Barling EXEXEL: I thought this one would be gone in the blink of an eye due to its unique shape, unique blast, and close to excellent condition. I resisted for about 20 minutes, but I knew I would regret if I let it go, so I bought it. Just one of those pipes that speaks to you on a deep level.

Ashton XX Unsmoked (Likely Bill Taylor Era): This pipe was custom made for blender Paul Olsen. It has his name engraved on it and his crown logo, along with the Ashton marking. Unfortunately, because of these custom markings there is no date stamp. Scott told me that it is likely a Taylor era piece. I would like to contact someone that knows Ashton pipes to find more info on this piece. Regardless, this thing has some beautiful, deep ring grain.

I cannot recommend this website enough.

6DC51A2A-2427-4C83-8AA9-0B36B42BD43D.jpeg

1BCB1378-7271-4279-9F44-9E598B143699.jpeg

BF02B4B8-F669-48DB-9D6E-9C8E4F25C527.jpeg

B1B4529D-DD60-49BF-A0B3-CB832BD434D4.jpeg

9B5AAE6E-5CFD-4FE4-9DC8-A699FC102331.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I especially like the Blue Room and the Ashton, for eye appeal. All my kind of shapes and finishes.

Reactions: americaman

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
That Barling looks so sweet!

I think the community should make a concerted effort to buy from shops such as Blue Room given that the Southern Behemoth is stinking rich and its employees are tired from the crush of incessant business. Mind you, they are a fine business and have earned every dime. I spent a lot of money with them. But jeez, why not spread it around?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I rarely comment on businesses and even more rarely about specific people.

One of the main reasons is because once you start doing that, NOT recommending someone can be interpreted as criticism or dismissal in a "read between the lines" sort of way.

I have too many friends and acquaintences in the PipeWorld to want to "go there" very often.

I will in this case, though. Why? Because Blue Room's old school integrity is the product of genuine humility, and waiting quietly for the world to discover such a business in these digital, instant-gratification times where brassy self-promotion has become the norm chafes my ass in a profoundly fundamental way.

So: Jesse is the Real Deal. A world-class pipe maker who makes spectacularly good stuff, and does presentaion-grade restorations. He's also a true gentleman straight out of Hollywood central casting. (Indeed he was born and raised in a small cowboy town in New Mexico).

I've only talked to Scott at length a few times, but enough to be able to tell that he knows the best way to make money in business is to NOT think of it as a goal in itself, but as a metric of how well you're satisfying your customers.

The two of them make a hell of a team.

The next time you need something pipe related, visit Blue Room first to see if they can hook you up. You'll be glad you did, I think.

Last edited:

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Loewe Centurion (Family Era): Supposedly made from 100 year old Algerian Briar, the Centurion was top of the line during the pre-Cadogan era. This thing looks unsmoked.

I have just recently learned that the Centurion Series was a celebration of Loewe's 100 year anniversary in business.

Loewe-1.jpg

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
+1. Blue Room Briars is on point. They get every dollar I can spend on new and estate pipes. Jesse, Scott, and Ian are all top notch dudes. Now the word is out!

Reactions: americaman

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for the kind comments on the pipes. It is good to see that others concur with my opinion of Blue Room Briars.

I have just recently learned that the Centurion Series was a celebration of Loewe's 100 year anniversary in business.

I have seen that ad, but I didn’t read it that way. Thanks for pointing that out. I am still wondering if it was made with 100 year aged Algerian briar. I know Algerian briar was common back then, but I have not been able to confirm or deny this

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Great Looking pipes, Congrats, and what I like about Blue Room Briars in particular that they offer basic USPS First Class shipping options to their international customers which takes not more than $ 15 to EU destinations,yet seems like their pipes are reasonably priced, I hope, down the road, I'm to do business with them.

lawdogspipes

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2010

One of the main reasons is because once you start doing that, NOT recommending someone can be interpreted as criticism or dismissal in a "read between the lines" sort of way.

I have too many friends and acquaintences in the PipeWorld to want to "go there" very often.

I will in this case, though. Why? Because Blue Room's old school integrity is the product of genuine humility, and waiting quietly for the world to discover such a business in these digital, instant-gratification times where brassy self-promotion has become the norm chafes my ass in a profoundly fundamental way.

So: Jesse is the Real Deal. A world-class pipe maker who makes spectacularly good stuff, and does presentaion-grade restorations. He's also a true gentleman straight out of Hollywood central casting. (Indeed he was born and raised in a small cowboy town in New Mexico).

I've only talked to Scott at length a few times, but enough to be able to tell that he knows the best way to make money in business is to NOT think of it as a goal in itself, but as a metric of how well you're satisfying your customers.

The next time you need something pipe related, visit Blue Room first to see if they can hook you up. You'll be glad you did, I think.

Both are great fellows and have a very nice selection of pipes. Highly recommend. George is spot on.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.

I'd like to second what Georged said. I've watched Jesse and Scott as they started the business a few years ago. A small batch operation with world class ethics. And I'm not just saying this because my Jesse Jones pipes smoke as well or better than any hunk of wood that I've ever stuck in my mouth!

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
I just received an estate pipe from them on Monday. Everything about my experience with them was fantastic. I love the pipe too, exactly as advertised. I will happily buy from them again.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I would like to add my 2 cents to the accolades that have been lavished on Blueroom Briars. I recently had a 40 plus year old Briar Workshop, Elliot Nachwalter pipe, restored by Jesse Jones and I have to say that he did an incredible job in restoring an old favorite that had seen much better days...Also dealing with Scott Townsend was an absolute pleasure. The customer service I received was top notch. These guys really care about the customer and everything they do showcases that fact. Whether you are looking for an artisan pipe, a production pipe, an estate pipe, or a full custom commission, I cannot recommend these guys enough.

Reactions: dmcmtk
Status
Not open for further replies.