PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

noctivagant

Lurker
May 30, 2018
Harrisonburg VA
I just opened my 12th anniversary present from the wife and found this beautiful blue meerschaum pipe she picked up on SmokingPipes. This is my first meer of any quality (ie block, not pressed).
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a colored meer like this, I've seen very old Meerschaums colored in a red called oxblood, but haven't come across anything in a blue. I'm sure there are some who think meers in anything but virgin white are a monstrosity, but dang, this things pretty.
I'm wondering what coloring will do to this thing? Does anyone know how they even color Meerschaum like this? Is it a wax?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Blue Meerschaum
(Can't seem to get the image to embed, so url it is)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
H3wsb3r.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'm not sure how the blue will look as you smoke the pipe over the years; but I have a Sadik Yanik meerschaum pipe that was pre-colored yellow, and the yellow is fading as I smoke it. It looks like the yellow is fading away and going back to the natural white color. I imagine once the yellow fades away, the pipe will color like a regular meerschaum pipe. I guess I'll have to wait and see. My guess is the blue pipe would do the same, but I can't say for sure. Enjoy your new pipe!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I had that pipe in my wishlist at SPC! It is a great meer! I’m jealous in a good way. It will darken similar to a white meer but obviously differently b/c it’s blue. It will get a nice dark to black rim over time as well. Please smoke the hell out of it. Great gift.

noctivagant

Lurker
May 30, 2018
Harrisonburg VA
@smittyd, it is considered a cutty with the little foot and the forward cant to the bowl. I've always been drawn to the shape of cuttys for some reason. It's not a very utilitarian shape in meer, it's a bit too light unsmoked to sit, but I'm hoping that once it's smoked some that it'll be heavy enough on the bowl end to sit a little better.
I'm currently enjoying a nice bowl of GLP Haddo's Delight as an inaugural bowl in this pipe. I almost feel as though this is my first bowl ever of Haddo's even though I smoke it regularly. I didn't think the pure smoke from a meer would make so much difference and I'm picking up notes in the tobacco I've never before noticed. Maybe all my briars are just ghosted worse than I thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.