PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
Hello fellers! My very first has started to clog. I decided to smoke a bowl and after a little while something clogged it. I had to leave it cool and poke it with the Czech tool through the shank to remove some debris and it felt softish kind of like wet wood. Anyone ever experienced the same? Can the pipe be saved? Is it something seriously at all?

Was this a .... mmmmmmm.... The Great Carnac says... is it a Peterson?
Carnac the Magnificent - Wikipedia

If not, it is probably tobacco that you've sucked down the draft.

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
Clean the shank with a bristle pipe cleaner and alcohol, then run a drill bit that matches the bore through. Finally give it a thorough clean with pipe cleaners and alcohol. Clean the mortice with ear buds and alcohol while you're at it. Let it rest and it'll be as good as new.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
One thing I learned rather quickly when I first picked up the pipe was to run a pipe cleaner through the draught hole after every bowl.

You probably sucked a bit of baccy into the hole.
Just run a pipe cleaner through.

If your pipe does not take a pipe cleaner through to the chamber, if it's not an army mount, wait until your pipe has cooled before removing the stem.

falconsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2021
Sounds like you cleared the blockage with the poker on your pipe tool. I'd follow up with a pipe cleaner from button to bowl, then a soft blow of air through the stem. Should be good to go.