PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NookersTheCat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
*I posted this on another forum on FB as well, so to those who may also belong there and are seeing it again, apologies. Just wanted to share with this great group as well :) *

Like probably many here, I got into this hobby after being exposed to it by a cherished love one. My grandpa would always have a bowlful of Middleton's Cherry in his briar, puffing away in his den's easy chair when I'd visit as a child on Saturdays. I still remember that sweet, pleasing, aromatic scent which I adored, even though I was taught to hate tobacco in general.

He passed when I was 7 and, unfortunately, my family got rid of all his piping paraphernalia. I still remember his go-to briar, a simple rusticated billiard. In memory of him, the first one I purchased was the same. A simple Voyageur from the Canadian makers, Brigham. I like to imagine it being the same one he had owned, being an avid outdoorsman who loved his annual fishing trips to Ontario.

Anyway, as some of you may also know, Middleton's Cherry was discontinued a couple months ago. Unfortunately, I didn't have any in my cellar as I had been focusing on higher end brands and took this old favorite for granted. After finding out, I scoured the net and about a dozen local B&M's to no avail.

Well, today after a job meeting far from home, as a Hail Mary, I stopped in a shop and found their last 4 pouches. I'm thrilled that I'll now be able to, on the rare enough occasion, sit back and enjoy a bowlful of this old favorite, and relax in the contented delight of remembering my best friend along with it. :)

120541271_10207663126172004_8062592278322894347_o.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
*I posted this on another forum on FB as well, so to those who may also belong there and are seeing it again, apologies. Just wanted to share with this great group as well :) *

Like probably many here, I got into this hobby after being exposed to it by a cherished love one. My grandpa would always have a bowlful of Middleton's Cherry in his briar, puffing away in his den's easy chair when I'd visit as a child on Saturdays. I still remember that sweet, pleasing, aromatic scent which I adored, even though I was taught to hate tobacco in general.

He passed when I was 7 and, unfortunately, my family got rid of all his piping paraphernalia. I still remember his go-to briar, a simple rusticated billiard. In memory of him, the first one I purchased was the same. A simple Voyageur from the Canadian makers, Brigham. I like to imagine it being the same one he had owned, being an avid outdoorsman who loved his annual fishing trips to Ontario.

Anyway, as some of you may also know, Middleton's Cherry was discontinued a couple months ago. Unfortunately, I didn't have any in my cellar as I had been focusing on higher end brands and took this old favorite for granted. After finding out, I scoured the net and about a dozen local B&M's to no avail.

Well, today after a job meeting far from home, as a Hail Mary, I stopped in a shop and found their last 4 pouches. I'm thrilled that I'll now be able to, on the rare enough occasion, sit back and enjoy a bowlful of this old favorite, and relax in the contented delight of remembering my best friend along with it. :)

View attachment 44799

NookersTheCat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020

I've seen these before... I'm going to try them out but I wanted to have the original so I'd have something to compare it to. There are a couple other shops that I've seen have matches for it as well.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hey wait... I just saw a thread last week about how Middleton's Cherry was named after a street and has absolutely no cherry flavor in it.
Muted and more like natural versus cherry candy. Jim even references it in his review and its listed in the components.

NookersTheCat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
Hey wait... I just saw a thread last week about how Middleton's Cherry was named after a street and has absolutely no cherry flavor in it.

I've seen people say this before as well... idk, it always tasted and smelled like cherries to me haha... although it's far more mild and less cloying than many other flavored tobaccos. But I think alot of these OTC blends are alot higher quality than many people give them credit for... and many really aren't cheap. Like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic... some people call it 'cheap crap' yet it's about $75 a pound! Lol, that's more expensive than most MacBaren and C&D offerings!