PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
With all of the talk about unavailable/discontinued blends I thought I would post a list of blends I always try to order when the funds are available. Whenever there is a good sale I grab a few tins of what I can if they're available. They usually are with the exception of a few but even those don't disappear within minutes/hours of people finding out they are in stock. (I'm not sure about the Sav 140 availability.)
Keep in mind, I'm relatively new to the pipe smoking world so these the blends that hit me during the first bowl as "need to get more". I'm trying to build up a really good stock to have and help space out the many, many other blends I'm enjoying trying. These are my "old friends" that I will always revisit from time to time so I'll never grow tired of them and still get to enjoy other blends.
Without further ado:
Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Special Reserve

Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River Special Reserve

Seattle Pipe Club Potlatch

Savinelli 140th Anniversary

Vincent Manil Le Petit Robin

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

Ashton Artisan's Blend

Cornell & Diehl Dreams of Kadath

Cornell & Diehl Mad Fiddler Flake
Hopefully the list works.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Lots and lots of good blends out there that are still available. Patience will reward.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
If I can add one, Hearth & Home Aniv Kake. It never failed to deliver me a tasty smoke.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I just received some Anniversary Kake a couple of days ago and it is extremely moist. I’ve had it drying for two days on a paper plate and it’s still very moist. Anyone else find this to be true? I did smoke a bowl and really enjoyed it but what a bugger to keep lit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I approve of buying blends that are in good supply and well distributed. A response by a blender/brand to customer demand should be rewarded. The fan dance where you have to chase blends all over the internet and world, though it has a quest-like excitement, essentially rewards bad behavior or at least poor business practices. I admit I've sprinted after a few unicorns, but now less and less.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I admit I've sprinted after a few unicorns...
8O
Don't even go there, amigo! :rofl:
jay-roger.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Adding to the list:
Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Dark Flake Unscented

Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake
I'll admit there are a few unicorns I hunted down but only enough to get a good feel for them (if I like them) and then to try and find an alternate.
Not going to look for exact replacements but "in the same vein". For example, I have Ashton Artisan's Blend in lieu of Dunhill Nightcap. Also, if I didn't have SPC Plum Pudding SR, Dreams of Kaddath would suit me (luckily both are available). Still looking for a Dunhill Dark Flake alternate.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I'm interested in a Dunhill Flake replacement, my jar is nearly gone. Cellar is getting pretty fat lately.
Anniversary Kake has required a lot of dry time for me too, but we'll worth the wait. I just got a big bag of it.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Great strategy picking up the readily available blends that you like.
I chased after some hard to get blends initially. Picked up some great old mixtures. But, tired of the process.
It was a lot more enjoyable and satisfying to buy pounds and pounds of my favorite easy to get tobaccos.
Now, I'm stocked up with a lot of great tobaccos along with a few gems to dive into when the moment calls for them.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Mity- I’d suggest Capstan Yellow as a replacement for Dunhill Flake. Not an exact copy but gives me a lot of the same flavors and scratches that itch for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To say I stockpile anything would be a misnomer. I do have TAD more often than I use up a tin or bulk order. Moderate smoking is glacial in my case. But I do have a nice supply of those coveted discontinued blends and a number of other of good repute, and others that are great ongoing oldies. I have unopened tins of SWRA, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, and Edward G. Robinson, and Potlatch. A couple Low Country Blends, C&D, Mac Barens, and so on.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I found the Capstan Blue Flake to be tastier than the Gold. I bought around 150 tins of the Blue and only half a dozen of the Gold. I think the Blue is one of the finest Virginia flakes on the market and it is always available.

Status
Not open for further replies.