PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Well I had a pouch of MacBarens Blue Pouch and honestly it has taken me months to get through half the pouch. I also had a pouch of no name English from an Indian Reserve from a few years ago that on its own was horrible. Well I thought what the heck I don't like either on their own maybe Ill like them together. Well walla! Not bad mixed them together and bingo I can smoke it and it's not too bad now. Which is good because in Canada that much tobacco represents a $40.00 dollar investment. Anyone else do this?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Luckily I have not had to do that but I am glad to hear you were able to salvage 40 bucks worth of tobacco. I feel for you guys in Canada, I really think it sucks what you have to put up with in terms of taxes, it just ain't right.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Figure I don't know as much as the blending masters and as such leave there work alone. If I don't like a blend I cellar and try again in a few months, repeate till its gone or I like it. I am

Happy for your success especially wih the ridiculous taxes you have to put up with!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've never tried to salvage a bad blend, but I understand why you feel you have to try.

Nearly all of my attempts at custom blending have been expensive failures. The only two that ever

worked for me are P.A. with 5% Perique, and what rothnh does with Va. & Izmir.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
When you blend your own do you then put the blend in the cellar for flavors to merge or do you just blend it prior to smoking?

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Well to be honest I threw it together and smoked a small bowl to see if it was terrible. If so I was just going to throw it away. The bowl wasn't too bad so I sealed it up and will revisit it again in a month or so. I am hoping the Latakia in the english comes out just a bit more. I was suprised i did't like the McBarens 7 seas blue since I had heard good things about it. If the Latakia is not present enough I will put a few fingerfulls of Pirate Kake in it just to bring out the smokiness. I'm not really a blender but like Harris said it's just too expensive to not try to salvaage something you don't like. I just can't bring myself to throw it away. Anyone have any experiance with adding whiskey or scotch into a tobacco? If so how much do you use?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I had a similar experience with Peterson's Christmas bland from 2011. Just too sweet for me. So I mixed in 2 oz of straight latakia hoping to tame the sweetness. Still too sweet for me. It's sitting in a sealed plastic bag and I'm hoping time will tame the beast. Failing that I will probably pitch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.