PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I have been far more intimidated by tobacco, as a concept, than with pipes. Pipes are appealing to me, personally, on so many levels. They seem like a more concrete concept to me for one. And so, I put off increasing my knowledge of tobacco - while restoring tons of pipes and having fun with that. I have certainly purchased my fair share of tobacco, but remained ignorant about the magic that went into the producing the tobacco I had purchased.

After posting a few questions about tobacco blending here on the forum and getting wisdom for forum members (thank you!), reading a few books, and researching, I gave it a shot. Here is the good news and bad news, for me personally, of that experience:

GOOD NEWS:
Preparing for the process of blending tobacco forced me to dive deep into some research. In the process, I now have a lot of "academic" knowledge regarding tobacco, what types of tobaccos are included in blend-categories, etc. Cool, because I am less intimated by the concept of tobacco - appreciating I am still new to the topic.
I also have a better grasp of what my tastes are at present... VA, VAPE, Oriental-Turkish blends.

BAD NEWS
All of my blends, 4 attempts in total, taste like butt. I mean that analogically, of course. Let's just say, I have a lot of work in front of me before I brag about anything I am blending. Sheesh!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think you need to start with unflavored leaf and then add your own flavors. I tried to mix flavored with some unflavored etc.. and just ended up with a basically unflavored tobacco.

I'd like to take leaf, add toppings, and press them in a book press to make crumble cakes.

Reactions: Humblepipe

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I think you need to start with unflavored leaf and then add your own flavors. I tried to mix flavored with some unflavored etc.. and just ended up with a basically unflavored tobacco.

I'd like to take leaf, add toppings, and press them in a book press to make crumble cakes.

I was blending a VAPE, Oriental-Turkish... not any Aros. I have even fewer excuses to offer.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
BAD NEWS
All of my blends, 4 attempts in total, taste like butt. I mean that analogically, of course. Let's just say, I have a lot of work in front of me before I brag about anything I am blending. Sheesh!

We’ll some for trying! I am inspired. I am waaay behind you and just starting to consider the idea of finding and restoring some pipes!

I try to keep things simple when blending. I grow mostly Virginias, and the magic is in the curing. Different temperatures, times, humidity can be the difference between a bright lemony Virginia and a deeper red flavor or earthy brown. It's like cooking. But, sometimes a blend just screams for something to be added. Sometimes it needs a casing or sometimes a little perique or an oriental... but, I try to keep an open mind. I never go into it trying to copy anything else, just enjoy what I get more than trying recreate anything.

The few attempts I have made at making a vanilla were varied. I would make a topping out of spiced rum packed with whole vanilla bean, and let it soak for a while... then the key to getting the leaf to take the topping is to heat it to get he pores to open up. Then, the leaf needs to dry slightly to a moisture level that it can age slightly with. If I taste this before a month or so, it never tastes very good... but, after a month, it tends to be more consistent in flavor.

Keep trying... be open minded, and know that when you get something you've never tasted before, maybe it's unique, not terrible.

What was it about the experience of smoking your own blend that was terrible?

Reactions: BROBS

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
If I did something right, it was blending small batches. Therefore, not a big loss in terms of material. Going with Cosmic’s advice, I’ll continue to add/experiment until I get something acceptable. My attempts so far were kind of sterile tasting and boring.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
If I did something right, it was blending small batches. Therefore, not a big loss in terms of material. Going with Cosmic’s advice, I’ll continue to add/experiment until I get something acceptable. My attempts so far were kind of sterile tasting and boring.
If you’re looking for a second opinion, I'm sure there’s some here - including me - who would be willing to try a bowl or trade for some! Boring to you may be simple and satisfying to others.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
If you’re looking for a second opinion, I'm sure there’s some here - including me - who would be willing to try a bowl or trade for some! Boring to you may be simple and satisfying to others.

Bowie - I will take you up on the offer to trade, but only after I am happier with my work. Look for a PM from me in the next few weeks. I am determined to make some progress soon (I can only "go up" from here - ha, ha).

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Blending is weird math.

Certain combinations of tobacco are: 2 + 2 + 2 = 8

Other combinations of tobacco are: 2 + 2 + 2 = 0.001

Putting certain combinations of leaf together creates something magical, while other combinations of leaf become less than the average of the components. Certain blending tobaccos "give" (contribute attributes) while others only "take" which is why "mundungus jars" (the leftovers jar) are often unremarkably bland, and even outright bad.

It's fun to try though, and teaches a remarkable appreciation for the craft.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I should add I get a chuckle watching everybody with the new fad, "pressing" tobacco into pucks and crumble cakes. As tough as it is to blend something good, I half wonder if what everybody's pressing is actually worth smoking. Seems there's a notion circulating that if it's a flake/cake then "it has to be good." ?:LOL:

Reactions: Casual

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I have no idea if what I did was remotely like blending (it probably wasn’t)

About 3 weeks back I had some cherry aro that was a bit overpowering for my taste, I threw all 100g of it in a tupperware box with about 50-60g of a cheap rum & maple I had that I thought was a bit bland (& because that was the only one I was prepared to waste if it didn’t work & anyway it said on the packet that it could be used for mixing)
So basically just a couple of aro’s that didn’t really do much for me on their own. I shook it around for a minute or so to ‘blend’ them and ‘decanted’ it into glass jars… its freakin awesome

Ok that’s an exaggeration, but it is perfectly smokable and is in daily use now as the go to weekday tobacco (in fact I’ve just had a bowl) and hopefully I have enough to last me a month or two

Will I do it again, well I kinda did by throwing some vanilla into a Cavendish last week to give the cavendish a lift and that’s good too, but I think I’ll only do it when I'm not a fan of the tobacco flavour & it forces me to change it
In neither case were the measures/quantities considered or thought through, it was just what I happened to have

I have no interest in trying to create any blends (which is why I don’t think what I did was anything like blending at all, I was just mixing stuff up to try and get a better flavour, but I am very pleased with the results)

Good luck in your endeavours

Reactions: Bowie

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I have no idea if what I did was remotely like blending (it probably wasn’t)

About 3 weeks back I had some cherry aro that was a bit overpowering for my taste, I threw all 100g of it in a tupperware box with about 50-60g of a cheap rum & maple I had that I thought was a bit bland (& because that was the only one I was prepared to waste if it didn’t work & anyway it said on the packet that it could be used for mixing)
So basically just a couple of aro’s that didn’t really do much for me on their own. I shook it around for a minute or so to ‘blend’ them and ‘decanted’ it into glass jars… its freakin awesome

Ok that’s an exaggeration, but it is perfectly smokable and is in daily use now as the go to weekday tobacco (in fact I’ve just had a bowl) and hopefully I have enough to last me a month or two

Will I do it again, well I kinda did by throwing some vanilla into a Cavendish last week to give the cavendish a lift and that’s good too, but I think I’ll only do it when I'm not a fan of the tobacco flavour & it forces me to change it
In neither case were the measures/quantities considered or thought through, it was just what I happened to have

I have no interest in trying to create any blends (which is why I don’t think what I did was anything like blending at all, I was just mixing stuff up to try and get a better flavour, but I am very pleased with the results)

Good luck in your endeavours

Sounds like successful blending to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.