Blend Similar to Presbyterian Mixture With a Touch More Latakia?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
I finally got around to trying PM last night. Normally I'm allergic to Latakia, so I've been putting it off, but wow! It was an amazing smoke! Floral, spicy, sour, smoky. I wasn't expecting it to be so good. To my greater surprise, I was actually wishing there was just a tiny bit more latakia in it to round out the smokiness. Any suggestions? I feel like GL Pease might have something up his sleeve, but I've only sampled some of his lat bombs, so I'm not sure where to start.

P.S. do I have to confess to my priest that I'm smoking (and enjoying!) a protestant blend? rotf

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
A blend I've been enjoying lately which might fit the bill would be Drucquer & Sons Inns of Court. IoC has more Latakia in it, as well as some Perique and Burley, but it has a similar light English vibe, without going overboard on the Latakia.

You might also want to try some of the stalwarts of the light English world, like Early Morning Pipe or Chelsea Morning.

P.S. You could always add a bit of blending Latakia to Presbyterian, but I'm personally leery of messing with a blender's execution.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think haparnold may be onto something with adding the blending Latakia to Presbyterian. This would give you absolute control, so you don't have to buy eight more blends to get the right dose. C&D has blending Latakia that might fill the bill. Meantime, if you encounter a blend you like as well, with just the right amount of Latakia, eureka. But you don't have to buy sample after sample searching.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Personally, I'm a big fan of GL Pease Meridian and C&D Sea Dog for medium range lat...but since I haven't cracked my Presbyterian, I'm not sure how they compare.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Try C&D Star of the East Gold. The orientals and latakia are switched (heavy orientals and light latakia) compared to the original Star of the East.

Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Stokkebye's English Luxury in bulk is tasty and may have a little more Lat, but your vivid description of Presby makes me want to open my tin. I think I could live without the Lat for one English blend in rotation.

Reactions: anotherbob

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Rattray’s red rapparee has a similar oriental flavour for me, but with more Latakia (and some cavendish).

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I'd second the Rattray's nod, but suggest Black Mallory instead, pretty mild blend with just a touch more latakia. Not quite as spicy as Red Rap.

There used to be lots of blends like this, light English or Oriental (or Balkan if you like). But a lot of the best ones (King Charles Mixture comes to mind) are really hard to find. Squadron Leader might do the trick for you too.

Personally I find the Pease handling or ingredients pretty dry and monochromatic, a little rough even, compared to the German blends (like Presby, rattray's, McConnell).

Reactions: oldtoby and jpmcwjr

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Yeah I dunno about latakia in King Charles, I'd say there's some but if there wasn't I wouldn't die of surprise. I don't think there's any in Durbar, I do think there's some in Presbyterian, but I've had people argue in the other direction on both of those, too. I just think anyone exploring orientals should hit King Charles if possible because it's just... so.... good.

Reactions: dcon

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I finally got around to trying PM last night. Normally I'm allergic to Latakia, so I've been putting it off, but wow! It was an amazing smoke! Floral, spicy, sour, smoky. I wasn't expecting it to be so good. To my greater surprise, I was actually wishing there was just a tiny bit more latakia in it to round out the smokiness. Any suggestions? I feel like GL Pease might have something up his sleeve, but I've only sampled some of his lat bombs, so I'm not sure where to start.

P.S. do I have to confess to my priest that I'm smoking (and enjoying!) a protestant blend? rotf

Based on what you liked about PM, I'd suggest GLP Kensington, but it might be a bit too heavy with Latakia, as it's a straight medium Latakia mixture to my tastes. Maybe one of the morning blends, Picadilly or Chelsea Morning? Really, MSO, might have the right idea since otherwise you might be trying to thread too small of a needle.

Status
Not open for further replies.