PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

WildTurkeySurprise

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2020
Mt Juliet, TN
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

When companies/distributors list the types of tobacco in a blend, do they list them in descending order, or is the order arbitrary? Can they leave things out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Can they leave components out of the description? Oh yes. I don't think there are any rules or anything that prevent it, though most blenders seem to be pretty open about what components are used, if not the exact percentages or recipe.

Here is a GL Pease article that talks a bit about "secret" Latakia content in VA-based blends.

A Few Words about Laurel Heights

Reactions: smknron

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
The FDA does regulate tobacco these days and while they might require an ingredients list at some point, I doubt it will break down the tobacco by specific leaves/curing techniques. It would he similar to what is required in certain European countries where they will list tobacco, water, any humectants or flavorings, etc. That is actually kind of useful for figuring out if and what added flavorings are used but not much help for leaf components.

labrax

Lurker
Jul 12, 2017
Central Massachusetts
The FDA does regulate tobacco these days and while they might require an ingredients list at some point, I doubt it will break down the tobacco by specific leaves/curing techniques. It would he similar to what is required in certain European countries where they will list tobacco, water, any humectants or flavorings, etc. That is actually kind of useful for figuring out if and what added flavorings are used but not much help for leaf components.

This is good to know - thank you. Is there a European site or vendor that you use to view this information, one that you find useful in determining what is in a blend? I am not so much concerned with the proportion of the various tobacco that makes up the blend, but the toppings and whether there is propylene glycol or other humectants. I find that if I smoke a non-aromatic that does not contain toppings or other things I do not get a bit of irritation at the roof or back of my mouth. Any pointers would be appreciated - thank you.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I know FDA regulates how the ingredients are listed by order of their amount in packaged food. But I don't think FDA regulates tobacco. And whoever does, ATF?, it doesn't seem to have a similar guidelines.

Exactly, for food the first ingredient listed is at least 50% of the deal, but not tobacco. I used to think smokingpipes.com, listed the components in order on their site, but sure they don’t. it could Latakia first and only be 20% Lat.

Reactions: anotherbob

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
When you read the tab on the side of a smoking pipes blend page it always lists in alphabetical order.
Tin labels I assume are a little more variable