PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompthroat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Maryland
My trip to Montreal in 2020 was cancelled/postponed. We hope to get back north sometime, and was wondering if anyone here had interactions with this pipe shop? Canada is a shit when it comes to regulations and taxes on tobacco, but I'll throw some funny dollars their way if I can sneak over the border.

Also, how do you pronounce the name of the shop?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and simong

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I visited in 2019 and they have a good selection of their own brand pipes with excellent prices. I think I paid C$150 for one with no fills (they have cheaper ones with fills). I know they make their own pipes but it's unclear if they also import others from, say, St. Claude, and stamp them their own. I also bought a cuban from them and smoked it at a lounge down the street. I think it's pronounced the English way.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
From what I read, it is a family business that came to Canada from England. It just seemed really cool if I could buy directly from the pipe maker and make a memory of my first trip into Canada!
I thought they came by way of South Africa, but I could be wrong.

Montreal is fascinating. I very much enjoyed the underground city of interconnected basement shops.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I have a couple of their standard line and a handmade one by Robert Blatter in 1989.

They smoke great, and you do get what you pay for. The least expensive ones strike me as similar quality to similar priced ones from France or Italy, a few fills but otherwise serviceable.

I have dealt exclusively online and by phone, and not in person, but I have been happy with them.

Here is the “hidden” page on the website showing the line of pipes and currently available handmade ones.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Montreal is a great city, eminently walkable, and the river boat tour is definitely worth the time, once you get the idea that the skipper knows where those rocks are. A Blatter & Blatter pipe would be the perfect souvenir. September was pretty. From the warning signs and snow lines, I think winter might not be so good, unless you are from Minnesota.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
As a Montrealer, I still pop in occasionally and they were my local B&M for a while (I lived pretty close). They have excellent pipes in stock and prices on pipes are very fair ($85 CAD for a 'regular').

Nice guys too, very much a family business.

I see @Casual already gave you their catalog link. I have two of their "Majeur" line which are a steal for under $100 CAD (a Canadian and a Bulldog). Very nice grain, natural finish with pretty big bowls. I have a 'géant droite' (XL Dublin) which they have it for around $150.

They always have some lovely estates on offer in-store. If you call, ask them what they have in that's unlisted online, as they always have quite a few nice estates and I'm sure they'd be up for sending you photos by email.

It's a bit of a shadow of its former glory in terms of tobaccos on the shelf. Quite sad to see, as I was there just a few weeks ago. But to be fair, the same can be said for all of the baccy stores here.

I used to buy their 'Tranches Danoises' (Danish Slices) which is a full Va slice with some kind of light honey/hazelnut tasting casing, which I still have a few jars of. I've been told that it's relabelled Sutliff 507c (however, I've yet to compare them, so I'm really not sure). I do enjoy them quite a bit, but the prices on baccy are crazy here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mostly I'd go for a pipe and request to see the ones made there, not imported house pipes, if there are any. If they have house blends, I might go for one of those, but not a quantity because of the elevated prices on tobacco. Montreal is a first rate walking city, just a good place to be. Their big art museum is well worth at least two hours, plus the river boat tour as mentioned in my earlier post. Food is quite French, mostly first rate. There's an underground shopping district if you had the mischance to get there in winter; take your arctic gear for that.

Reactions: rajangan and beef
Status
Not open for further replies.