PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sokrates

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I have a pipe that has a hot air taste that overshadows the taste of the tobacco. I’ve probably smoked this pipe fifty times thinking it just needed to be broken in. I’ve cleaned is with vodka twice. I’ve adjusted my cadence to barely puffing on it because it does taste like hot air and still no change. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a pipe that has a hot air taste that overshadows the taste of the tobacco. I’ve probably smoked this pipe fifty times thinking it just needed to be broken in. I’ve cleaned is with vodka twice. I’ve adjusted my cadence to barely puffing on it because it does taste like hot air and still no change. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?
Sounds like tobacco is too damp or you're packing it too tight.

Reactions: sokrates

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
It tastes like I’m pulling more air than smoke.
Probably drilled with a very open draw. I have a Castello long Lovat that has the same issue (but smokes great). Slightly tighter packing plus only using ribbon, rubbed flake or crumble cake works best for me In this pipe. Cube cut or shag cut ends up frying my mouth.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I have had a couple pipes like that, and I couldn't ever come up with why. One was an Ascorti. Nicely made pipe. No flavor at all.
Life's too short for this shit, sell it, trade it, whatever. Find something that works better!