PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I started re-watching the original 1982 Blade Runner movie last night. I watched it at the theater all those years ago. As I was watching, there's a scene where Batty and Kowalski go into the Eye shop to "question" Hannibal Chew (26:15) and bada bing... there are clay tavern pipes standing up on a work bench (I counted 7). I started the movie too late so I had to pause it and go to bed. I'll finish it tonight and be on the watch for more pipes. Now I'm going to be on high pipe alert when watching movies :)

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
I started re-watching the original 1982 Blade Runner movie last night. I watched it at the theater all those years ago. As I was watching, there's a scene where Batty and Kowalski go into the Eye shop to "question" Hannibal Chew (26:15) and bada bing... there are clay tavern pipes standing up on a work bench (I counted 7). I started the movie too late so I had to pause it and go to bed. I'll finish it tonight and be on the watch for more pipes. Now I'm going to be on high pipe alert when watching movies :)
You could make this a hobby and build a website dedicated to quantifying and timestamping pipe appearances in movies.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
The original Blade Runner is one of my all-time favorite movies. I haven't seen it lately but recall it holding up really well. (Much better than the recent one IMHO.) Roy Baty's (Rutger Hauer) "tears in rain" death soliloquy is vivid in my memory almost forty years later. I don't recall the clay pipes you noticed but they're totally consistent with the enchanting futuristic/ retro atmospherics of Ridley Scott's masterpiece. Another reason to rewatch Blade Runner.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
The original Blade Runner is one of my all-time favorite movies. I haven't seen it lately but recall it holding up really well. (Much better than the recent one IMHO.) Roy Baty's (Rutger Hauer) "tears in rain" death soliloquy is vivid in my memory almost forty years later. I don't recall the clay pipes you noticed but they're totally consistent with the enchanting futuristic/ retro atmospherics of Ridley Scott's masterpiece. Another reason to rewatch Blade Runner.
I finished watching it last night; still an awesome movie! There were people smoking clay pipes everywhere. I think Ridley Scott should be getting kudos from the pipe community like Peter Jackson does.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I was really late to the party with Blade Runner first seeing it with a friend who was a big fan about 10 years ago. The "tears in rain" monologue really was moving and I absolutely loved the ending. I can't remember which version I saw but it was one of the Director's Cuts that are supposed to be better than the theatrical version. I haven't seen the sequel yet and if I am true to form I'll likely be raving about that come 2038 or so :ROFLMAO:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
"Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner"

Is that it? I can't see it anywhere on Youtube, sounds interesting.

I have the blu-ray of the Blade Runner - Final Cut and I never noticed the pipes, a good excuse to watch it again. I went to the theater to watch 2049, it was ok, but no comparison to the original (Harrison Ford needs to stick with flying planes, his acting days are behind him).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I thought Blade Runner a masterpiece. The setting is overpoweringly eery and the characters concomitantly bend with it. Of course the plot moves the movie along, but to me it is the tremendous distortion of the setting and the way it frames the characters that, again and again, gets my attention.

Take the hunted Hannah making a bed in the garbage and newspapers, meeting up with benefactor M. Emmet Walsh who as he ushers her into his apartment, in what turns out to be a decrepit and futuristically architected building, introduces her to his mechanized humanoid creations. Then too there are the floating billboards that vocalize starting a new life off world (government aggrandizement/lambs to slaughter). The human/android test at the start and with Sean Young. The fabulous and oddly furnished lodgings of Terrell. It's one eery oddity after the next.

And the ending is superb, even capturing the mania that we, and the replicants, have to survive.

I don't think any movie could be as good the original. 2049 is a very substantive movie but hasn't its genius. When I first saw it I strained to follow it, and in the half-dozen viewings since find that its setting, plot and characters provide the futuristic dissonance that is at the heart of this series.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I did find a copy of Dangerous Days. I have the "Special Edition" version of The Final Cut (1 Disc) and it did not include Dangerous Days.
That’s the one. It’s been about a year since I watched it. It must’ve gotten yanked for rights infringement. It was a pretty low-res rip anyway.

I still haven’t gotten a Blu-Ray version. I’ll have to watch for one with the documentary.

Reactions: dunnyboy and BROBS

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That’s the one. It’s been about a year since I watched it. It must’ve gotten yanked for rights infringement. It was a pretty low-res rip anyway.

I still haven’t gotten a Blu-Ray version. I’ll have to watch for one with the documentary.
It's available in 4K on AppleTV and four other providers. Should be much better than Blu-ray. Emphasis on should: Dunno the quality of the telecine.

Reactions: dunnyboy and BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
neat fact that speech wasn't written for him it was in fact an improve. Pretty cool factoid.