PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
With my latest TAD purchase from Esterval's Pipe House they were kind enough to add a sampler of Robert McConnell Black Parrot, a VaPer. Perfect, since part of the reason I had made the order was to try VaPers (2 out of the 7 tins I ordered were Samuel Gawith St. James Flake and Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls). I first smoked St. James Flake and it didn't really stand out. Then I smoked the Navy Rolls and I liked it better, but was still kind of bland. Then I tried the sampler. Wow. To say I was impressed is an understatement. If this is what a VaPer is then I like VaPers.
Now, the reason I'm making this thread isn't to share how delicious Black Parrot is but rather to ask exactly what's going on with the different versions of Black Parrot. If I'm not mistaken it was originally an Ashton blend, but it seems they've discontinued them (though some of the tins they've supposedly discontinued are still available at the above link).
This is where it gets confusing. Robert McConnell have got blends with the same names and tins that look exactly the same as the discontinued blends, apart from the change of manufacturer logo, and have got exactly the same descriptions. McClelland have also got a line of blends with the same names, with Ashton Revival in front of them, that have different tins and descriptions (though obviously naming the same components) that are clearly supposed to be remakes of the Ashton blends.
After seeing the Ashton tins and the McConnell tins I simply assumed they were rebranded versions of the very same blends, maybe McConnell simply took up the production and sales of the blends after Ashton discontinued them. But after looking around I could find no information about such a shift happening and instead the only thing I could find info and reviews about was McClelland's Ashton Revival versions.
Now, what exactly is going on here? Are the McConnell blends the exact same blends as the Ashton and the McClelland blends remakes trying to produce the same flavour? Are all three the same? Are all three different?
Since I could find no solid info on the net I was hoping one of you could shed some light on this mystery! :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Tobaccoreviews.com lists McClelland as blending Balck Parrot for Ashton so that clears that up. There is no listing of Robert McConnell have a similar blend. So, it seems to me that you'vr got a McClelland blended product.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
baskerville59: Thanks for the suggestions and I would absolutely love to try them, but unfortunately I can't find any McClelland blends anywhere in Europe (looked through a dozen e-stores in 4 different EU countries) :(
papipeguy: If you take a look at reviews of the others in the series you'll see many mentioning that the ones sold in Europe are or at least were made by K&K in Germany (and I found a single one that mentions it was made by McConnell in the nineties). When and why McClelland started producing them I don't know, and if it's only for the US market or if they switched all the production to them. Based on all that I find it unlikely that McConnell would start importing and selling the McClelland blends from the US, rebranded, here. I could be wrong though, which is why I'm looking for more info. Thanks for looking into it :)

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I spent a very interesting half hour yesterday talking with Mike MacNeil of McClelland. One of the things he was very emphatic about was that he does not, has not and will not use distributors to sell his products, He sells only to the retailer, so if McConnell is selling McClelland blends it would have to be on that basis and doesn't seem very likely.
It's possible that the copyright or Registration of the original Black Parrot brand name has expired and that the name has entered into the public domain. If that's true, anyone would be free to use the name, but they could not claim exclusive use of it.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
I found Kohlhase & Kopp's website and found something interesting. As many reviews mention these Ashton blends were originally made by K&K, not by McClelland. McClelland took over the production of them, alternatively produced them for the American market while K&K kept the EU market, and they have since been discontinued. McClelland now have their "Ashton Revival" blends, only sold in the US as far as I know, which I'm guessing are simply the Ashton blends rebranded after the discontinuation. Meanwhile K&K actually still lists these blends, not under Ashton but under McConnell. This leads me to believe that K&K are still producing the original Ashton blends, now for McConnell, for the EU market. If they use exactly the same recipe and same tobaccos but simply produce them in different factories for different markets (US/EU) or if they've changed the recipes or if the information is simply outdated or incorrect or my assumptions wrong, I don't know.
I'm fairly content with this conclusion, correct or not, so I'll just leave it at that it seems to be an awesome blend, whether produced and sold by K&K and McConnell or McClelland. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.