PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Does anyone have any experience with the Black Meerschaum Brand? They seem to have a good deal going on right now. Interesting fittings in they use briar at the mortise.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Does anyone have any experience with the Black Meerschaum Brand? They seem to have a good deal going on right now. Interesting fittings in they use briar at the mortise.
Personally no. No advertisement, but Bremen Pipe Smoker (Mark) has done an video on YouTube about their pipes with the proprietor of Black Meerschaum.

Reactions: trudger

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
They don't list chamber size, on the pipes I looked at. Plus I don't see the point of having a briar mortise (called a "tenon" on the site). I'd guess they make a quite smokeable pipe, but I didn't see anything that appealed to my pipesmokerly esthetic sense. But the goat is interesting. And different. Hmm...

goat.jpg

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Their pipes look nice and the price is right? But I have no clue how good they are. If someone could give a testimonial I would consider buying from them, they seem to use vulcanite for some stems too which is interesting?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I never heard of them, and I wondered if it was a brand that specialized in some sort of black-colored Meerschaum, but I see, no. I'm not in the market, but I'd be interested in seeing informed comment or a review on them.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
I plan on trying a Black Meerschaum brand pipe soon. If I get any results I'll be sure to pist them. I've been having very wet smokes out if a few of my more bargain priced meers so if your new to Meerschaum price does typically matter. IMP, SMS or MKM have all been very solid pipes. You smoke the wettest aromatics you can find in a big reverse Calabash IMP and cannot even get the bottom of the bowl wet after repeat smoking. Now my skinny Star Meerschaum smokes extremely wet and hot. It may go on the chopping block very soon. I have another star I am pleased with but it still smokes hot.

Reactions: TheWhale13

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Glad I commissioned one, great pipe. ?

View attachment 135552
That's a beauty. I find IMP probably have the best draft and drilling. MKM and anything meerschaum market carries is great too. SMS, Yanik, Atinay are sweet too. I'm about done experimenting with meerschaum though. I've come to the consensus the bigger the pipe, the better the smoke to me. I like them dry and no gurgle. Big reverse calabashes or big classical shapes offer this typically.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Here's what a guy told me regarding the brand black meerschaum

"I most certainly would recommend it. I have three meerschaum pipes at present, the other two IMP brand. I would absolutely say the quality of Meerschaum is identical between the two, and that is one of the most important pieces to me. I would say the fit and finish up this pipe ranks below those, but it was also significantly less expensive brand new. Personally, I think it’s a good trade off."

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I see one significant issue in having a briar mortise insert. The bonus of a delrin or nylon insert is that moisture during smoking causes no swelling in the insert and the stems on those can be removed at any time. The briar inserts may swell and cause difficulties removing the stem causing stress on the meerschaum.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
I see one significant issue in having a briar mortise insert. The bonus of a delrin or nylon insert is that moisture during smoking causes no swelling in the insert and the stems on those can be removed at any time. The briar inserts may swell and cause difficulties removing the stem causing stress on the meerschaum.
I didn't even think of that. But also meerschaum doesn't like moving after it's cured. I wonder if there is a small concern of that briar ring ever blowing the shank up or cracking it?

Reactions: Chasing Embers