Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I can imagine. I feel like a couple of my pipes are friends of mine.. and I didn't even make those. The matter is settled, I'm going to do it. If it turns out I'll post some pictures..

Ah, my friend...don't dream it...do it! There is something about smoking a pipe you have labored on - be it a bare block you have drilled yourself, a kit pipe or even restoring an estate pipe that adds much to the enjoyment of both looking at it and smoking it.

I can imagine. I feel like a couple of my pipes are friends of mine.. and I didn't even make those. The matter is settled, I'm going to do it. If it turns out I'll post some pictures..
I just made my first pipe from scratch and was amazed by the result! Not expected that fine pipe!
Though, woodworking experience and some tools helped a lot:)

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
You should just call it a Kraken Horn...it'll be one of a kind!

More than that! When I post the finished Kraken Horn there will be a bonus pic! I posted in a different thread on the ugliest pipe a pic of my testing shop pipe. It got many votes for being just flat butt ugly. In another thread one person said what it looked like and he was right. So - along with working on the horn I have been making the ugly pipe more...civilized. When next I post the finished Horn of the Kraken I will also post a pic of...wait for it...the Kraken's Gonad. Now THAT is one of a kind.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
How do you fellas get your pre drilled blocks? Is that the best option? Any advice on where to get a good one?
Vermont Freehand?

I haven't purchased any blocks there, but I did buy my PIMO Pipemaking at Home book from them.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I hate to admit it, but I'm looking forward to seeing it. I suspect you will have some kind of unspeakable object to unveil.
Oh, man, I just hope it's NOT the Horn of Dagoth!! :eek::eek:

200px-Dagoth2.jpg

How do you fellas get your pre drilled blocks? Is that the best option? Any advice on where to get a good one?
I have drilled mine myself, on the lathe. I see people use drill presses.

It was the easiest part of the job, really, if you have tools. Oh, and I just made myself a bowl drill from 20mm flat wood drill, 5min on bench grinder.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
More than that! When I post the finished Kraken Horn there will be a bonus pic! I posted in a different thread on the ugliest pipe a pic of my testing shop pipe. It got many votes for being just flat butt ugly. In another thread one person said what it looked like and he was right. So - along with working on the horn I have been making the ugly pipe more...civilized. When next I post the finished Horn of the Kraken I will also post a pic of...wait for it...the Kraken's Gonad. Now THAT is one of a kind.

For anyone who did not see the previous pic of the "testing shop pipe" (consider yourself fortunate...it can't be unseen) I think it's important to point out that by Saint Peter's own admission, it would be considered a "more civilized upgrade" to refashion it into the Kraken's Gonad.

• Love
Reactions: saintpeter

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Is that post-upgrade already? Looks different in that pic...probably due to the angle (it does appear sort of Kraken Gonad-like).

Reactions: saintpeter

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Right or wrong, good or bad, it's done.

First...the Kraken's Gonad. Yeah it will still only be smoked at night.
Firing up the Kraken's Horn. In truth it is just about broken in. I smokem as I work on them.
Just another shot.
And finally my shop buddy. He likes the smell of Burley and being petted.
AND LIKKE THEY SAID IN THE MOVIE, "Game over, man."

Status
Not open for further replies.