PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Since I started checking out blends online, I've been paying more attention to what's in them, and I noticed a significant number of non-aromatic blends (including some English lat blends) that contain minor amounts of black cavendish as a condiment. So I decided to try an experiment. I blended 20% by weight of my go-to black cav, Bennington's #40, into Dunhill Royal Yacht, jarred it for a couple weeks to marry. I enjoy both blends singly, but I find the combination even more to my liking. The backbone is still the sweet Va nic-bomb that is RY, but the cavendish does three things:
1) Adds a layer of taste to RY which tends to get a little one-dimensional if I smoke it too frequently.

2) Makes the room note (which is already fairly tolerable) even more woman-friendly.

3) Bennington's #40 is a cube-cut black cav, which slows down the burning of the RY ribbon cut, making the smoke last much longer.
It also tames the nic hit of RY somewhat. In all, it's a blend that will go in my rotation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
shutterbug, I think you are onto something there. Cavendish is an under-appreciated kind of tobacco -- as

we know, it's the process that makes Cavendish, not the leaf, which is usually Virginia or burley. Cavendish is

a work horse that evens out and slows down a lot of blends, in a good way. It's a great tobacco to mix with

others. A fairly sure fire home mix (not really a blend since no pressure or aging is involved when I do it) is

equal parts Va and bur, and a smaller pinch of Cavendish. I have yet to open my tin of RY, but when I do, I'll

keep this suggestion in mind. It sounds like a good variation on a theme.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I love mixing various tobaccos. A good mix will do wonders for an otherwise bland aromatic.
However, I'm not sure it's black cavendish added into many blends but rather regular unflavored cavendish. Does wonders for many VaPers and English blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.