PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Hello all, my first post here. This is a little strange so it's hard to set the stage for it.

I've been smoking a pipe and thoroughly enjoying it for 2 weeks. I started with Lane 1-Q and immediately moved on from it as it's too perfumey for my tastes. I tried basic blends like Kendall Gold, 707 Sweet Virginia, and my favorite, Escudo. So I placed another order. This time I had some more unique blends due to the C&D sale plus a few others: Red Odessa, Exclusive, Epiphany, Habana Daydream, Morley's Best, 702 Light Burley...

Prior to today, from the second batch I had tried Epiphany and 702 Light Burley. This morning I smoked Morley's Best for the first time, then during the afternoon with a soccer match and due to the holiday, decided to smoke Habana Daydream. I really enjoyed it since the first and only thing I've ever smoked was a cigar on my 18th birthday.

Now Habana Daydream was a burner. I mean, it was a puffer even with my breath control and pacing. No tongue bite at all, quite smooth. But then I noticed a slightly burning, painful area near the lower part of my stomach. A small ovular patch of skin turned red. I also noticed 2-3 lumps that looked almost like bites on my leg, and I did notice a flying insect shortly before all this. I did a cursory search of these forums... Lyme disease? I hope not, no "bullseye rash" but the "tick" matches the ever so brief image of the flying insect that I can recall. Florida is full of them though. Hours later, the rash is gone without a trace and there's the faintest speckle of red from the "bite marks" on my leg.

A relative did go to a wedding recently and was sick for a few days. I do not have my COVID shot but I also haven't been sick for years, my immune system is a rock and I am extremely healthy besides my new hobby (please, no arguing, just like smoking, it's my health. I'm not a denier nor anti-vaxxer, I have every other vax. I'm just a skeptic, guilty until proven innocent when it comes to the government)

I digress, I guess I have to try Habana Daydream once more at least to determine if that is the issue. I have had eczema for years but it's mostly very mild cases on my face, maybe an itchy scalp, and I have been using Shea butter to combat the slightly drying the pipe causes.

Red Odessa, Habana Daydream, Morley's Best... When I first smelled them all, they reminded me of a rubber tire. Then they became more campfire-y, maybe leathery. Does this match the description you have? I have never smelled anything like them before and they don't smell like the Va/Pers I have become accustom to over 2 weeks.

Sorry for the long ramble, it's hard to describe this strange thing that happened today. Perhaps it's one Habana smoke too early for this post. No other tobacco has given me any issues.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Ticks DON'T fly.

The rash and smoking Habana Daydream are probably totally unrelated and coincidental.
Possible ? Maybe.
Probable? Unlikely.

If you still think the rash is caused by the Habana Daydream, have another bowl .
IF the rash recurs mid-smoke , THEN you may have your "proof"

But have an anti-histamine tablet on hand, just in case ;-)

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
I didn't even consider Lyme disease until I searched this forum for skin reactions, I know it's an utter reach and out in left field. "tick" was in quotations because I have no idea what it was, it was so brief, but it did fly. If flying insects could carry Lyme disease, that was my point more so than my stupidity of calling it a tick.

Do you have any speculation as to why HD might have possible done this? It contains all ingredients I've smoked before, no casing unless it's a flavorless, proprietary one beyond sugar. So far I've tried every main tobacco constituent and no issues before HD. As you said, I'll have to give it another go. Maybe I wasn't used to the huge amount of nicotine?

Edit: I misread and now see that you said they were totally unrelated, for some reason I thought you said the rash and insect. Let me just say I've never experienced anything like this before.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Could be chiggers for sure. Fleas? Deadly spiders? OP isn't real specific on the symptoms. If they went away after a few hours and not a lot of itching could even be some plant reaction. Doesn't sound all that concerning and no idea why tobacco would come to mind, but you might be able to fashion some tobacco into a poultice that may afford relief if you need it, probably use about two ounces of Escudo, you want the finest left you can get for healing.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I get them at l once a year. If you do any fishing on the bank, you're bound to get em.
They are a pain in the you know what when they dig in. Ice directly on the skin makes me feel better, but give me the occasional bout of chiggers over ticks any day, especially the flying ones.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Our State Bird is the Mosquito ?
Wonder what bit you?
We've had weeks of rain in Sydney with a resulting plague of mozzies (and other insects). Thankfully we're on a ridge, so no leeches.

Yesterday I emptied half a can of bug spray at the HUGEST mozzie (sounded like one, and looked a hell like one) I've ever seen. It must have been a mutant because it was 4-5 times the size of the usual suspects. Only difference between it and the Hulk was it wasn't coloured green :)

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
To me it sounds like you might have a react to your laundry soap.
Maybe… I’ve used the same laundry soap for years now without issue. Never had a rash like that. About 3 inches, stingingly painful, then disappeared within a few hours.

I’m the only one in the family that uses it that soap though. Perhaps the soap everyone else uses got mixed in with mine, or had some residual amount between washes.

I smoked some Epiphany today walking the dog. Maybe I’ll try HD tonight and keep that antihistamine nearby.

Reactions: FurCoat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Probably nothing. Stay vigilant. Bed bugs? Pet allergy? I don't have sensitivity problems often, but I have a dermatologist who is a better diagnostician than any doc I've seen. He's helped my wife, who has a fairly complex health situation, with all and various problems not necessarily associated with skin. If you can find someone like that. I somewhat doubt the tobacco association. Usually that is an oral or respiratory reaction. Most likely, this is something else, or nothing. Don't be too proud to see a doctor if it recurs.

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Probably nothing. Stay vigilant. Bed bugs? Pet allergy? I don't have sensitivity problems often, but I have a dermatologist who is a better diagnostician than any doc I've seen. He's helped my wife, who has a fairly complex health situation, with all and various problems not necessarily associated with skin. If you can find someone like that. I somewhat doubt the tobacco association. Usually that is an oral or respiratory reaction. Most likely, this is something else, or nothing. Don't be too proud to see a doctor if it recurs.
Thank you my friend. It could've been environmental, could've been one time, coincidental, who knows. I will know when I smoke that HD again. I got worried because I just picked up this hobby and was going to be let down if I had to give it up already...

Reactions: jpmcwjr