PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
After several smokes in my new-ish pipes, I'm noticing that tiny bits of tobacco are basically fused to the side of the bowl.

I give the bowl my usual cleaning (a quick wipe with a folded up pipe cleaner, and sometimes another paper towel wipe). But still a few bits remain attached. Even a gentle scrape with the tamper won't remove them. It's as if they've been absorbed into the surface of the bowl's interior.

Is this normal? Oddly, it's actually happening on my 2 nicer pipes (Peterson, Rossi), but not on my cheaper basket ones. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 25, 2021
England
In the case of the Peterson it's probably because the manufacturer has used insufficiently matured Briar, and the heat of smoking is causing the remaining sap to leak into the bowl.

Continued smoking will eventually cure the beast, if you can endure it that long.

Or smoke the cheaper basket pipes, which are certain to be better quality than a pretty Pete.

Normal. I most often scrape them off with the full edge of the tamper. Water flush takes most of that off as well. No harm if some is missed.
I was going to say the same thing, and add that after flushing with water, I will ream the chamber with a wad of paper towel.

Ultimately, I don't think a little flake of tobacco stuck to the inside chamber is going to do anything bad. I just don't like to leave things like that on principle.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I believe on Peterson pipes, at least, is due to evil bowl coating. Stop smoking it immediately and shove it up your worst enemy's arse where sun don't shine. Or just keep on smoking like I do if it doesn't bother you any other than your anal retentive tendency.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I believe on Peterson pipes, at least, is due to evil bowl coating. Stop smoking it immediately and shove it up your worst enemy's arse where sun don't shine. Or just keep on smoking like I do if it doesn't bother you any other than your anal retentive tendency.
Gee, not sure if that's such a good idea.
Don't think I'd want to smoke any pipe after it's been up someones arse. :eek:

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Ignore it. You will eventually end up with what is called a "cake."
I temporarily lost my faculties of cognition. Then, to top it off, I misspoke. I think I was having one of those annoying mini-stroke things that plague out-of-shape dotards, but I'm better now, thanks.

Here's what you should do: First, ream the shit out it. Follow that with sandpaper rolled up and squinched into the bowl, using a twisting motion until the sandpaper disintegrates and you see fresh sawdust start to appear. I like to pretend I'm sodomizing a cat when doing this, as it makes the time go faster. Then proceed to do the ol' alcohol and salt treatment. See videos on YouTube for reference. Follow this with a long rest period, both for you and the aforementioned pipe. That's what we're talking about, right? A pipe or something? Anyhow...where was I? Oh, yeah--listen, this is important: don't yield to the temptation to just throw the pipe away. And don't call 911. I've done both and regretted it. Everything should turn out just fine if you keep your head.

I know. You're welcome.