PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I need to have less fat and cholesterol in my diet and leaner cuts of beef are mostly on the tough and flavorless side. We were at an Aldis and found they stocked Bison, and not outrageously priced considering that all meat prices have gone through the ceiling of late. Hardly any fat or cholesterol but plenty of favor, not unlike high end cuts of beef. The Bison we've had are ground Bison and Bison sausage, so I can't comment on the comparative toughness of BEEF AND bISON CUTS, but for what it is, it's pretty darned tasty and good stuff!
So far we've grilled burgers as well as made sausage and onions. I was wondering if anyone here had any Bison recipes they could recommend?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I need to have less fat and cholesterol in my diet and leaner cuts of beef are mostly on the tough and flavorless side. We were at an Aldis and found they stocked Bison, and not outrageously priced considering that all meat prices have gone through the ceiling of late. Hardly any fat or cholesterol but plenty of favor, not unlike high end cuts of beef. The Bison we've had are ground Bison and Bison sausage, so I can't comment on the comparative toughness of BEEF AND bISON CUTS, but for what it is, it's pretty darned tasty and good stuff!
So far we've grilled burgers as well as made sausage and onions. I was wondering if anyone here had any Bison recipes they could recommend?
Shepherd's pie or cottage pie is my "go to" with ground beef if not in the mood for burgers. I'm also known for making meatloaf just for sandwiches the next day.

I dated a girl whose family raised beefalo, which is a mix of cow and buffalo. In short, treat the meat like beef and add more fat/liquid/binder to keep it moist since the lack of fat can create dry meals (think ground turkey or chicken).

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
We have bison hunts up here and I get gifted a few steaks from time to time. There is also a butcher shop which carries "farmed" bison, usually frozen so not that great. I treat bison as I do beef. You do need to add fat when doing burgers (I add a pat of butter when serving) and such. It's a different taste and texture and, in my opinion, one shouldn't compare beef and bison. Bison makes great stew as fat and flavors are added.

A good beef steak needs to cook on the bone with decent marbling and decent girdle of fat. A nice fatty crust adds to the flavors but, you certainly don't need to consume such. The beef flavor is imparted by the marbling. A low graded hunk of beef is nearly flavorless and requires a sauce or something with plenty of salt aqnd pepper and/or other flavors. The salt is probably worse for you than marbling. Just don't eat the thick, tasty outer fat. Not sure that's possible though, Damned tasty!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
For the record, I've enjoyed bison but found the burgers like a lot of such burgers can get pretty dry but sounds like you must have that sorted out. You do need the fat content or look into some ways to work in some breading mixture with some moisture that can really work and not seem like you are eating a meatloaf burger.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Shepherd's pie or cottage pie is my "go to" with ground beef..."

Shepherd's pie is actually made from minced lamb....the clue is in the name :rolleyes:

I have often wondered what bison might taste like....would certainly love to try it but highly unlikely to find it in the shops over here.

Regards,

Jay.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
You are correct, shepherd's pie is with lamb while cottage pie is with beef.

In the States, shepherd's pie and cottage pie are generally interchangeable (likely because ground lamb is rare to find and not a commonly used ingredient).

I used both terms to reach a wider audience of understanding.

Personally, I use ground lamb for lamb burgers, lahmoujoun, and kefta.

Bison is less gamey than lamb and usually more flavorful than beef.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
"Shepherd's pie or cottage pie is my "go to" with ground beef..."

Shepherd's pie is actually made from minced lamb....the clue is in the name :rolleyes:

I have often wondered what bison might taste like....would certainly love to try it but highly unlikely to find it in the shops over here.

Regards,

Jay.
There is an old saying around here that the only time a rancher tastes his own beef is when he goes to his neighbor's ranch for a barbeque, LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You know why Japanese Wagyu beef is so expensive? Ribeye tastier than other cut? Glorious Fat! Heavenly marbling! Butter better than margarine? Whole milk better than skim? Bury me in fat when I'm dead like duck confit!!!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon