Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
I have been toying with the idea of looking for a birth year pipe but have no desire to get being ripped off. Any idea how big of a pain this will be? Birth year is 1969. Maybe a man on the moon pipe?

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Ok this is a weird coincidence but I just did this a few days ago. Now that everyone is mentioning big name brands with easily identifiable stamps I might have gotten a little ripped off, but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

What I did was search SP and SP EU with just my birth year as well as a few general google searches like "1991 estate pipe" "vintage 1991 pipe" and so on. What I came back with was this guy! Estate Tobacco Pipes: Japanese Estates Kobe Smooth Billiard (1991) || Smokingpipes.eu - https://www.smokingpipes.eu/pipes/estate/japan/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=130786

Now being 1969 and not as new as mine I gotta assume your pipe is going to come with a higher price tag no matter what. Heck the other 1991 pipes I found were around $200+ and one of them was just a 5 year range so I'll be happy with this buy as long as it's a decent smoker.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I can understand the attraction for others but I neither felt nor followed a trail to get one for myself, perhaps because many such pipes cost more than what I was willing to spend (Dunhill).

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Birth year pipes are out there,of you just have to look. You might have to settle for a pipe that's around your birth year, like 'early 90s', or maybe you could be gifted one like @scloyd was for the Secret Santa.
I searched for my 1959 birth year pipe with no luck. Then I received this 1959 Dunhill from my pipe forum Secret Santa...a very generous gift.

To my Secret Santa - thank you!

20191224_221509 - Edited (1).jpg

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Swampdragon1969 good luck with your search. I got my first Dunhill birth year (1961) pipe about 3 years ago and now I own 3. They are definitely out there and I see 1969s from time to time. I got my first at forum sponsor The Danish Pipe Shop. They have nicely restored estates, good values, and great service. The other 2 I got off of ebay. All of them were (IMO) reasonable, not super steals like chasingembers finds but, he proves that deals can be found.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wouldn't it be fine if year of manufacture were part of the stamping on pipes. Then we could have birth year pipes of any standard brand. It should be a tradition, not mandated by anyone. By popular demand. This is a recurring fantasy of mine, which his unlikely because people feel it would make pipes look shelf worn into the next year and might make buyers want them for less. Some carvers stamp or etch the date on their pipes. Luciano stamped all their pipes with the year, and hurrah for them. I'm not sure they are still in production, but I salute them.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
My big fear is that it will be crazy expensive and just lacking that “WOW” factor. I really like bent bulldogs and longer pipes. I have an affinity for leather wrapped and Meerschaum pipes. I have a Savenelli lovate/ Canadian but it does not float my boat. I seem to be more of a tobacco collector than a pipe guy.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
The problem is that what dramatically narrows the field and ups the ante, is other than Dunhill pipes (which have an annual date code--which may not be of much concern to many EBay sellers, or misread). The only other category of pipes that can usually be accurately dated are (in addition to Dunhill) other English brands with hallmarked sterling silver or solid gold parts. Most countries don't require silver or gold be dated, and even GB is somewhat relaxed about smaller works of silver.

Then, no matter how ingenious you are, search engines are some help, but I know most of the time I look at pipes for sale, and want to know the date, I have to blow up an image, and then with the aid of John Loring's Dunhill Briar Pipe and/or Tardy's International Hallmarks, figure out the fracking date thing myself.

I don't wish in any way to discourage you from your quest. Just know that you're going to have to decide if you really love Dunhills, or possibly pipes with silver fittings-- and then. whether the hunt is actually part of the fun for you. If so, as they like to say on Battlestar Galactica, Good Hunting!

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr