Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Well courtesy of the Von Erck "Loon" thread, I wandered over to Dave Neeb's site and discovered a birth year Dunhill. It's a '59 Tanshell Group 4 (or 3) for what I considered a reasonable price and a pretty easy find for me. Now I just have to wait for Dave to process the order. :D
E3984-2.JPG

Just when I thought I was recovering from PAD.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've been looking for one myself (1983).. so far all the ones I've found have either been too expensive, too big, or not in the best condition.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I'm hoping to find a beater with a replacement stem. I am not going to pay top dollar for a pristine 60 year old pipe.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Thanks Ash; it's not often you can find a birth year pipe from the zenith of the pipe smoking era...ok, zenith is maybe a bit over the top.
Methinks there is some history though with Duane and Dunhills. Think Duane will fill me in? :lol:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Nice grab. I really love the entire birthyear Dunhill tradition which seems to have been, if not born here, heavily promoted here. I can think of no other utilitarian object I'd much care to seek out from the year of my birth. It's my opinion that the '70's produced mostly garbage, myself included, yet the birthyear Dunhill thing appeals.

Again, congrats on the score.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The only car I'd ever want from the '70's would be Italian. I'd kill for a Ferrari Daytona, Dino, or Lambo, but I'd never specifically seek one out specifically because it was made in my birthyear

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Duane, you grabbed a Dunhill????? You realize they are Grabow seconds right??

Yeah, I know. Figured I could drill some holes in the bottom of it to make a nice bonsai pot.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I checked that box 25 years ago.
Or thought I had until last year when a Baker Street Irregular pointed out that my 1953 Dunnie was actually a 1943 one. And that it was an exceedingly rare variation of a standard shape (475).
So it was a good news / bad news sort of thing... :lol:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Or thought I had until last year when a Baker Street Irregular pointed out that my 1953 Dunnie was actually a 1943 one.
Jeesh. A decent pipe repairman should be able to fix something as simple as that.
According to my calculations (I'm a theoretical astrophysicist by the way) you should be able to just...

Status
Not open for further replies.