PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
seems a lot of money for a cob with an upside down stem,who's bing crosby? :puffpipe:

I didnt know merchant service made cobs

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very interesting link. Clearly, Bing didn't have all high end smokers!
And the other items on the site- my God, what people will do to connect themselves with minor public figures! Interesting also that the actual sales prices are generally a small fraction of the so-called estimate.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Proves he had good taste in pipes with a cob!
I may print that paperwork off and sell a few myself.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I concur Voorhees. And have it mounted in a glass case that you could hang on the wall with some nice pictures of him puffing away or something.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Interesting. Did you guys happen to see mine for sale? Merchant Service Special? I came into three of them. I really hesitated listing it, but hopefully someone will enjoy it. All three I own have had imperfections in the briar, but no filler was used. Can anyone chime in on that? Most pipes I've seen have some sort of filler if there was a small divot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No provenance, no point. These are like saintly relics sold on the street. I try not to think about Bing's treatment of his sons. He's such a likable performer, good singer, and seemingly a great colleague. I know a lot of people are damaged in intimacy and are damaging to those who get close. Distance is a key; at some distance, most can be pretty sunny and even kind.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Unverified to begin with and the seller displays as his lead photo, a picture of the corncob pipe shown in a glass case with the stem inserted upside down. Just a hunch, but as we like to say down here in Texas, I think that seller is all hat and no cattle.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just to set the record straight about Bing beating his kids. Bing was a very stern parent, but Gary Crosby exaggerated those claims to help sell his book. Bing, like many parents of the time period, did whip their children, but Gary Giddins mostly sets the record straight in the second volume of his Bing Bio. Gary later admitted he had over blown some of the claims in order to boost book sales, the jerk. Gary was always jealous of his dad, and you can certainly tell that in his book.
At one point, the twins went to Gary's house. One held Gary while the other beat the hell out of him. I'm sure that was worse any thing Bing ever did.

Status
Not open for further replies.