PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
I like watching clips of the old guys smoking their pipes to study the natural way they pack the bowl, light, draw and expertly smoke while being interviewed, etc. It's very educational for the new pipe smoker. For example, Bing blows the lit match with his first exhale (begins at the 2:38 minute mark).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
He's producing a lot more smoke than I do. Guessing it's where he's trying to focus on smoking and talking at the same time.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
It's amazing they managed to smoke at all given they didn't have the internet to reference for all the ways to smoke correctly. Who knows, maybe they just packed and applied fire until they figured out how they liked it.
That's true. New pipe smokers of the past didnt have access to the vast resources of the internet as we do. And yet, they somehow learned to smoke. A very obvious point.

They did, however have their fathers, uncles, grandfathers and others at the barbershop to learn about things like personal honor, baseball and yes, pipe smoking. Something the new men of today, in general lack. We could probably have a spirited discussion about why and how that change came about. Probably spackled with a sour dollop of dismissive sarcasm.

Be that as it may, pipe smokers of the 40's and 50's had an educational resource that's today's new pipe smoker does not.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That's true. New pipe smokers of the past didnt have access to the vast resources of the internet as we do. And yet, they somehow learned to smoke. A very obvious point.

They did, however have their fathers, uncles, grandfathers and others at the barbershop to learn about things like personal honor, baseball and yes, pipe smoking. Something the new men of today, in general lack. We could probably have a spirited discussion about why and how that change came about. Probably spackled with a sour dollop of dismissive sarcasm.

Be that as it may, pipe smokers of the 40's and 50's had an educational resource that's today's new pipe smoker does not.

No question, I'm sure many had at least some tutoring. I am confident however the majority spent a lot more time figuring it out for themselves. And they didn't dissect it and over think it like we tend to do here.

I remember back when I first started smoking a pipe, I learned mostly by watching. I remember watching my neighbor dip his pipe in a pouch of Borkhum Riff and pull tobacco into the chamber with his index finger. For the most part, he packed his pipe purely by touch without a glance. I wish he were still around so I could give him an expensive Artisan pipe and a tin of flake tobacco to torture him. LOL

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
It was just smoking then and likely not a whole lot of over thinking. Just pack it and smoke it. I had no other pipe smokers around myself when I started. Just filled a pipe and smoked it until I figured it out.

Yes exactly. It's easier to learn by being shown in person rather than being told how over the internet. For me at least.

It's the little things like moisture and cut of tobacco as to how both affect packing for example.

By just watching others that I've turned to a pipe, I often am able to point out an easier or better way of doing things.

I learnt how to roll cigarettes just by watching my grandfather. From 12yo I often rolled him ciggies.

- Funny story about that. At 14yo I was keeping my Pop company after dinner watching TV.
Asking Pop if I could roll him a ciggie he muttered 'Yeah alright'.
Rolling it carefully I pushed the loose strands into the ends and asked 'Can I light it for you Pop?' 'Yeah'
When I offered the lit smoke he said 'You might as bloody well smoke it. You pinch them from me anyway.' lol I had no idea that he knew.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
That's a great clip. He looked to be in the prime of his life. Although I've seen dozens of his movies, I've never seen an interview with him. Growing up, he was a favorite in our household. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: docpierce