PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Smokingpipes.com had a link to this image on their Facebook page this morning. I thought it would be appreciated here too.
LuDuYJs.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The likeness is terrible. He looks like a cross between Bing and Fred Astaire. I'd still like to see the inside of the book though.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I wouldn't say the inside illustrations are much better. They show Bing fishing, making coffee by a campfire, golfing, etc. They did these coloring books for all the celebrities.
flcHnz6.jpg

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Honorary mayor of Elko, NV. :worship: Can't wait to see the Chairman of the Board sitting at your right hand someday

Jan 8, 2013
Who holds a pipe like that?
Well, there is no real right or wrong way. I've seen people hold their pipes in many different ways. Although most of us probably hold it by the bowl, many wrap their fingers around the shank like a cigar, or perhaps like in the photo of Bing above.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Right, Anthony. What that looks like, though, is that he is taking it out of his mouth to speak to someone. I don't hold it by the bowl when I do that

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Close enough. He simply liked to handle his pipes lightly in front of a camera.
Bing-Crosby-Smoking-a-Pipe-104154.jpg

bing.png

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks for posting.
"Well lil Timmy, how shall we color Bing's pipe today, birdseye or flame grain?"
It was common back then to hold a pipe by the stem. Here's a candid pic of my grandfather in 1973. Although he smoked a pipe all day, he would set them down for the family photos.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
dave g wrote:
"Well lil Timmy, how shall we color Bing's pipe today, birdseye or flame grain?"
That's the fist good laugh I've had in a while! I can't in my wildest imagination see a pipe appearing in a kids coloring book today. Ah, the power of nostalgia.....

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My wife doesn't ever take pictures of me when I'm smoking. And I'm always smoking, so that's how I get out of getting my picture taken! Haha

Jan 8, 2013
Just for the heck of it, I decided to look on Ebay for Bing Crosby coloring books and......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Bing-Crosby-Coloring-Book-Oversized-Authorized-Edition-Movie-Music-Star-/231802118245?hash=item35f87ba065:g:1WIAAOxyIAZRuxI4

Status
Not open for further replies.