PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When does a billiard become a pot on the shape chart? An undeniable pot is truncated so it almost yells its name, but many such pipes hover between the two. Is it a short-bowled billiard or a tall pot? Shapes are often hybrids and arguable, but the billiard versus pot question, in many cases, is almost the owner's call. I have both cylindrical and panel pipes that call the question. I usually call them billiards unless the pipe makes a liar out of me just looking at it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Billiard-var.gif

Alas, they don't provide a dimensions guideline.

For instance, in terms of shank length, the formula is: if shank length >= bowl heigth --> Canadian family, else Billiard.

Reactions: bnichols23

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I have two pipes that are unquestionably pots. All the rest are billiards to me, if a little short in the bowl.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I've a couple of pots that are undeniably pots. On the other hand I've got a tall billiard that may or may not be a stack/chimney. It's either a tall classic billiard or a shorter stack.

Like a Bulldog is a pipe shape that has subcategories... Rhodesians and calabashes, etc... they are all bulldogs, just some are different types of bulldogs.

Or, Dublins... yachts, woodstocks, etc... all are Dublins, just some are different types of Dublins.

I think of Pots, lovats, canadians, etc... are all billiards, just different types of billiards.

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
I disagree with the bowl height rule of thumb. OD/ID of bowl. An ideal group 4 pot is about 5 1/2 inches long but as little as 5 1/4 or as long as 6 (like a gr4 billiard), with a bore of 22-24mm (vs 17-19mm for a billiard) and a chamber depth of 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 inches (vs 1 3/8-1 5/8 for a billiard). The pot has thicker walls than a billiard. Classic English conventions and not every pipe, much less English pipes, adheres to them. Look at any of the classic English makes from ww2 to the 60s, and all their pots are roughly the same dimensions.

It's the best shape for Burley IMO. I have a bunch of pots.

Status
Not open for further replies.