PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
We are adults. No reason to be IBTL. I was at the office today when I read online about him being free. I only knew of what I briefly read online, and knew he was in jail for rape. I never followed the case nor do I care. I did however learn through call I was on today this actually came up. As it was explained to me the complaint sued in Civil court. Mr . Cosby agreed to give basically a confession of rape, tell he did give pills and sexually assaulted victim. Both parties agreed on those terms, and a money settlement would have been reached. However a new DA filed criminal charge based on his civil disposition. That’s flat out illegal, and wrong , he spent 3 years in jail and is now free. Did he rape her? Yes! Did the DA violate the constitution? Yes. Now the Victim who was seeking money won’t get it. And punishment of 3 years served is all anyone will ever get. Who wins? Nobody my 2 cents

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Who wins?
We, the people, do! Hopefully the DA will be, at least, censured, at best disbarred. The result of his action means a guilty, self-admittedly, Cosby "got away with it" but, the right to not incriminate one's self is still intact, at least in Pennsylvania .. for the foreseeable future anyway. So, "we the people" win and the aggrieved/violated feel let down. But, the blame rests wtih the DA and no one else.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When OJ was tried I knew he would get off. Why? Money and influence win every time. I'm surprised Cosby did a day of time.

Lawyers are thugs in suits and judges can be bought for the asking. The grim reality of this is that if you're young and black and go to court, you're going to do time. A very high percent of the young black male population is in Jail.

This has nothing to do with justice but instead striking judicial racism.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
He got off on what is a "technicality". That does not mean he didn't do what the victims claimed. That means he had good, scumbag attorneys that took most of his money in order to find a loop hole. Just like OJ or any other super rich a-hole. Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you freedom from justice.
I have zero love for Bill Crosby but those "technicalities" are important. In any felony, the state has a significant advantage. If they're not forced to play by the rules, almost everybody accused of anything, no matter how ridiculous, would be found guilty. I think the saying is "better that 100 guilty people go free than one innocent one unjustly put in prison".

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you freedom from justice.
So, the DA got paid under the table? I'm not seeing that.

Cosby admitted, in civil court, to his guilt and the aftermath of that is where the DA took the case to criminal court at a later date, denying Cosby his civil rights. The DA ignored the law. The first DA, not seeing a case, provided Cosby with legal protection for his testimony in the civil case. Justice might have been ill served but, in the end ... his constitutional rights, ours also withstood the challenge.

Apparently there was no case, criminal, to be successfully prosecuted unless Cosby forfieted his rights, which he didn't. So, the State of Pennsylvania, in the guise of the second DA, purposefully denied Cosby his rights under the law. So, more a case of the second DA going for a bit of fame, catering to the politics in vogue at the time, at the expense of a citizen's civil rights. Those rights are to protect all of us, guilty and innocent. We are all entitled to whatever "feelings" we have with the case but, I'm of the opinion that our "rights" trump "feelings", every time, all the time. So sometimes "bad" guys go free.

Most of the Supremes decisions which "handcuff" law enforcement are the direct result of DA's and cops depriving citizens of their "inalienable" rights. Miranda being one such case most of us are at least familiar with after watching TV cop shows. I believe it was one dumb or ill trained mid-west copper who caused that decision. But, I and the rest of the law enforcement community learned to live with it. The more cops lied to get warrants, the tougher getting warrants became.

Status
Not open for further replies.