SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
I like the pickin, but the lyrics are just too Tom Wait-ish for my tastes.
The actress in the first video, Chloë Sevigny from HBOs Big Love series, is an awesome actor. I loved all of the openendedness of the video, the insinuation that she had a black eye from an abusive relationship. Good stuff. A heart tugger.

I couldn't disagree more re: the lyrics. Bill Callahan almost exclusively writes in the first person and is very self aware/confessional sort of thing, while Tom Waits is generally writing from the point of view of various characters, similar to Bob Dylan. Have you ever heard really early Tom Waits? He assumed that gravely "whiskey and cigarettes" voice, it's a totally affected. I do like a few of his songs, but they quickly wear on me...

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
I couldn't disagree more re: the lyrics. Bill Callahan almost exclusively writes in the first person and is very self aware/confessional sort of thing, while Tom Waits is generally writing from the point of view of various characters, similar to Bob Dylan. Have you ever heard really early Tom Waits? He assumed that gravely "whiskey and cigarettes" voice, it's a totally affected. I do like a few of his songs, but they quickly wear on me...
I was meaning the “sound” of his voice, not so much the words of the lyrics. One pass through on the sound didn’t trigger that sort of deeper insight, but yours is much better.

Jan 27, 2020
I was meaning the “sound” of his voice, not so much the words of the lyrics. One pass through on the sound didn’t trigger that sort of deeper insight, but yours is much better.

Oh sorry, misread. Maybe it's the depth of his voice. One might be able to argue with someone how they should appreciate lyrics or whatever but it would be futile and arrogant to try and convince someone to change their opinion on someone's voice.

I recently got HBO, I'll check out Big Love.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Oh sorry, misread. Maybe it's the depth of his voice. One might be able to argue with someone how they should appreciate lyrics or whatever but it would be futile and arrogant to try and convince someone to change their opinion on someone's voice.

I recently got HBO, I'll check out Big Love.
Big Love was from like 2007, I think. Excellent series.

Eh, I could get to like him. I’ll do a little more listening.

I remember I was all negative over a singers voice a few years ago, but then the guy went on to be Ed Sheeran. Ha ha!

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Big Love was from like 2007, I think. Excellent series.

Eh, I could get to like him. I’ll do a little more listening.

I remember I was all negative over a singers voice a few years ago, but then the guy went on to be Ed Sheeran. Ha ha!

Well, that doesn't mean he doesn't suck! Most commercial music is ruined by autotune these days, it's not just something used in rap.

Reactions: hawky454
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Not my cup of tea. Kind of monotone to my untrained and uncultured tastes. I guess that’s his “style,” but it does nothing for me. It’s kind of Lou Reed-ish, but less dynamic. I kept waiting on something more melodic to happen, and nada.
I’ll give him points for originality.

Jan 27, 2020
Not my cup of tea. Kind of monotone to my untrained and uncultured tastes. I guess that’s his “style,” but it does nothing for me. It’s kind of Lou Reed-ish, but less dynamic. I kept waiting on something more melodic to happen, and nada.
I’ll give him points for originality.

Well, at least you gave him a listen and formed an opinion accordingly. I can't stand Lou Reed, btw. Seemed like a miserable human being on top of it although I feel the opposite of John Cale.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Okay
Are you just saying that because he moved to Austin?
Oh cool, he lives here now? That’s totally news to me.

I‘m also a huge Tom Waits fan. People that aren’t to familiar with him don’t realize how dynamic and eclectic his music can be. Even his ”newer” stuff, he has something for everyone. The song, “Hold On” and “Come On Up to the House” are American classics now, granted he is on the darker side. He sings with character and no one paints a picture like he does, I mean he’s Tommy the Cat! He’s flipping fantastic, one of my heroes.

Reactions: LotusEater

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
BTW, there are popular and respected musicians out there who are also pipe smokers. For example:
He initiated a popular Esoterica-related thread here a year or two ago, but nobody recognized him (except me).

Jan 27, 2020
BTW, there are popular and respected musicians out there who are also pipe smokers. For example:
He initiated a popular Esoterica-related thread here a year or two ago, but nobody recognized him (except me).

Oh, did he have that near hit or should of been hit with the title "are you ready to be heartbroken" or similar?